first time casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

doddman70

Hi everybody i am new to the forum so i will use this as a chance to say hi and introduce myself. i live in oregon and i have been turning pens for about 2 years i just ordered some polly resin for the first time from mrfiberglass and i have a few questions. 1st. do i really need a pressure pot for casting what are the pros and cons? 2nd. can i cast in a glass mold my wife has some old pyrex pie pans that i cold use? 3rd when adding die to the resin if i am wanting a swirling efect will the colors bleed into each other or or do they stay seperate (not sure how to phrase that lol) anyway thanks in advance for any help.

Shane

its_virgil

Welcome Shane. Casting your own blanks is fun and $$$ saving. I'll try to answer your questions.
1st: No, you don't necessarily need a pressure pot to cast. The resin will cure without the pressure and several IAP members cast without using pressure, especially the tinted blanks.

2nd:You can cast in anything just about. I use hard plastic square cake pans. Pyrex is tempered glass and I don't think the heat will be a problem.

3rd: They tend to bleed and mix together. The more you disturb the two colored resin the more it will mix. You may want to mix the two colors and slowly pour them together and drag a wire through the mix to swirl and disturb as little as possible.

There are several tutorials in the library on casting techiques which you may want to read. good luck and show us your results. Several of us are continually trying to make that look which we find in commercial resins.

We also have a welcome forum. I think it is called "Introductions". you may want to introduce yourself over there so more members can get to know you.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by doddman70
<br />Hi everybody i am new to the forum so i will use this as a chance to say hi and introduce myself. i live in oregon and i have been turning pens for about 2 years i just ordered some polly resin for the first time from mrfiberglass and i have a few questions. 1st. do i really need a pressure pot for casting what are the pros and cons? 2nd. can i cast in a glass mold my wife has some old pyrex pie pans that i cold use? 3rd when adding die to the resin if i am wanting a swirling efect will the colors bleed into each other or or do they stay seperate (not sure how to phrase that lol) anyway thanks in advance for any help.

Shane

CHICAGOHAND

Here is my very first one,this is just the beginning of stuff i am going to start dumping into the mold.
I will have to find it cheaper though.

20074183631_Picture%20203.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom