First Stabilizing Adventure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I just finish up stabilizing my first batch of pen blanks with cactus juice. I'm thinking I didn't quite get completely dry as I was still getting tiny champagne bubbles after 18 hours of running the vacuum pump. I got down to 29" vacuum, so I think I was deep enough vacuum. I let them soak for 48 hours after the vacuum, then cured. I ended up about doubling the raw, air dry weight for most of the blanks. The lighter woods like buckeye Burl and poplar Burl were about 2.5 times raw, and a piece of amboyna ended about 1.5 times. Curious how this compares to other amateur stabilizers, pros are welcome to weigh in too :biggrin:

Last edited:

Brotherdale

Sounds like you got pretty good penetration. They should turn really well.
On my first attempt I had those tiny bubbles even after 3 days. But those pieces still worked well. I am more careful now about drying the wood.

robutacion

I just finish up stabilizing my first batch of pen blanks with cactus juice. I'm thinking I didn't quite get completely dry as I was still getting tiny champagne bubbles after 18 hours of running the vacuum pump. I got down to 29" vacuum, so I think I was deep enough vacuum. I let them soak for 48 hours after the vacuum, then cured. I ended up about doubling the raw, air dry weight for most of the blanks. The lighter woods like buckeye Burl and poplar Burl were about 2.5 times raw, and a piece of amboyna ended about 1.5 times. Curious how this compares to other amateur stabilizers, pros are welcome to weigh in too :biggrin:

Oven dry the wood prior to stabilizing would guarantee zero moisture in the wood, wood you think is dry is probably not and any moisture will bubble when in the CJ. Next run, try this and see if the bubbles stop after a few hours under full vacuum...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom