First Color Mix

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

I poured a clear cast mold last night so since I had the PR out I figured I'd try mixing a few colors to pour into the rectangular mold I made out of a plastic cutting board. I had about 12 ounces that I mixed with white mica and 4 ounces each for some blue and green mica. I quickly read through a few library articles trying to find where I had read about different stages of gel'ing the PR goes through but didn't find exactly what I thought I had read in the past. I was stirring every minute or so rotating between the colors and waiting for it to seem like it was thickening. It seemed like it was taking a long time to notice any changing. Then I swear it seemed like the 12 ounces of white PR changed from easily dripping off the stirring stick to a blob in like 30 seconds. I dumped it in the mold real quick and tried to mix in the blue and green but it was gel'ed up too much to mix like I wanted. The blue and green were still feeling thin. Anyways I tried to force breaks in the white blob to get some blue and green to mix in but I'm not expecting much success. I hadn't planned on pressurizing the pour but after that mess I was worried I had caused air pockets so I stuck it in the pressure pot at 60lbs and hoped that would help. I'll take it out of the pot tonight and see what happened.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

It does take a bit of practice to get the "FEEL" for when it turns. Don't worry though. After a gallon or 2 you'll be a pro. Oh, it will still still happen, but you'll be a pro at it.:rolleyes:

The good part is that sometimes, you get some really cool unexpected blanks from these experiences. The bad part is that it's nearly impossible to recreate.

Autonoz

I just had the exact thing happen to me. Waiting patiently for it to thicken so I could mix the colors together and the next thin I know "GLOB". Had to force them together as well. I did pressurize them and am getting ready to turn a couple of blanks from them. Hopefully they will look somewhat decent. I have only done about six pens and have had problems with everyone I have cast. Who can tell me what causes a milky substance in the clear resin. Is it the CA? It is only near the tube.

I have had the thick in 30 seconds because of 2 reasons.
1= alot of heat to get it to start thickening, then bam its thick and to late.
2= to much of the hardener and it will go from watery thin to thick blob in a half minute to a minute and be non pourable.

Gilrock

I think I'm gonna get at least 2 nice blanks from this. The white blob dominates most of the slab but the pieces on the ends had much more of the green and blue. I was really happy with the quality of the blank...the pressure pot must have done it's job cause I'm not seeing any air bubbles.

Attachments

• FirstPour.jpg
    FirstPour.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 228

InvisibleMan

I think I'm gonna get at least 2 nice blanks from this. The white blob dominates most of the slab but the pieces on the ends had much more of the green and blue. I was really happy with the quality of the blank...the pressure pot must have done it's job cause I'm not seeing any air bubbles.

I'm guessing they'll all be worth using. Nice colors, nice save.

George417

Some very interesting patterns in the pours. They will make some excellent blanks. Never judge a blank by it's original pour.

:):):):):)

Gilrock

I was thinking the reason the white gel'ed faster was because it was in 12 ounces of resin while the other colors were in 4 ounces. I used 5 drops of MEKP per ounce in all 3 containers. I thought I read a thread in the past mentioning that the more material you have in one container the more heat that can get generated speeding up the process.

Anyways I was excited with the outcome and ordered a couple more gallons of resin today.

InvisibleMan

I was thinking the reason the white gel'ed faster was because it was in 12 ounces of resin while the other colors were in 4 ounces. I used 5 drops of MEKP per ounce in all 3 containers. I thought I read a thread in the past mentioning that the more material you have in one container the more heat that can get generated speeding up the process.

Anyways I was excited with the outcome and ordered a couple more gallons of resin today.

I think white just gels faster. I always catalyze it at least a few minutes after other colors if I want a swirl, even with less white than other colors.

Do that same recipe again with the white catalyzed later and you'll have some very nice blanks.

Top Bottom