First casts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So the embarrassing thing about this thread is, I'm not going to show my first couple. They weren't terrible but just weren't what I was trying to accomplish.

However, the pens pictured here are the very first attempts by my wife, and my son (with a wee bit of help from dad perhaps..)

My wife has recently discovered a bit of an artistic streak so I excitedly told her about the pressure pot and resin I was getting in. Secretly I hoped she'd enjoy the process of creating the pen blanks because that way I'd have some help and it would be something we could do together. I THINK I'm close to having her hooked. Plus she's a bit of a natural. The purple/white pen is the first one she made.

Anyone that has an inquisitive toddler knows they like to be involved. So after much begging on his part, I let my almost 4 year old pick out a couple colors and some pearlex to go with them. He REALLY wanted blue and yellow so we mixed them at the ratios he dictated and then I held the cups steady while he poured them in. After that I kicked him out of the garage while I turned on the pressure pot. (I use safe pressure but, mechanical things can and do fail right?) He wanted the same pen kit as momma but we went with chrome hardware instead. Meanwhile daddy learned just how clear the yellow pigments are when used with Alumilite clear. Might be time to get some white alumilite...

Attachments

• PurplePolaris-1.jpg
    PurplePolaris-1.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 222
  • BlueAndYellowPolaris-6.jpg
    BlueAndYellowPolaris-6.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 247
  • PurplePolaris-3.jpg
    PurplePolaris-3.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 208
  • BlueAndYellowPolaris-4.jpg
    BlueAndYellowPolaris-4.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 215
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

Get the white dye instead. A couple of drops will make the clear turn opaque.

I was glad to hear that you exiled him from the garage while the pressure pot was under pressure. We all know that little fingers love to twist things and that could have been a major problem.

I'll experiment a bit more with the white dye for sure. Should brighten up the colors I'd wager.

I may be guilty of taking my own safety for granted every now and then but when the kid is in the shop I don't mess around. He wears safety glasses when he's watching me turn things and is instructed to ask before he touches ANYTHING. Most machines are unplugged just in case as well.

eharri446

I know how it is. I raised two boys and they could get into more things that you would believe.

Anyway, kudos, for thing about safety first. You may need to put protective boxes over the wall outlets so that he cannot plug anything in when he gets bigger.

Yes, use white dye instead. You'll be lucky to have the time to mix in any colors and get it into the pot before it starts to set with Alumilite white. Also, you won't get the same shade, it will be more of soft, a pastel like yellow.

The blanks look great!

Last edited:
Top Bottom