First Casting, First Home Made Mold, and Alumilite Valentines Day Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Triple Crown

Now that I have written this, it appears to be a little long. Sorry! This is my experience doing my first home made casting.

-----------

Well I finally received my pressure pot on February 13. Not much time to make a Valentine's Day pen for my wife, but at least I got something started for her. I don't think she was really thrilled getting two white tubes with heart stickers on them and me saying "I think that you're going to like it when it's done." (She's heard stuff like this before.) We did go out to dinner! Anyway, here is my experience casting my first blanks.

My eventual goal is to do some snake skin and postage stamp pens, so I made a crude mold to cast tube-in blanks. I went a different route in making my mold than I have seen so far. I made it using the Alumilite Amazing Putty. The goal was to make one like some of the others I've seen on this site for doing tube-on casting - with built-in nubs to go right into the tubes. Of course the first time doing anything you learn a lot for the next round. The putty started hardening faster than I expected. I should have used longer-than-final-length blanks or made some shims so that there is some material to mill off and square the blanks to the tubes. I ended up losing three of my four nubs and drilled holes through the mold for some plugs to go through. (The fourth nub held strong so I kept it.) One of the reasons it looks so beat up is because I used a pretty dull exacto knife to cut more out and get some added length for the blanks. Here are some pictures of my ugly beat up looking mold.

Home Made Mold 1.JPGHome Made Mold 2.JPG

On Monday, my son and I put my new tools together – a little 3 gallon pancake air compressor and the 2.5 gallon pressure pot. Tested it out: turned it on and it took its time and made a lot of noise (it's just loud) but it did pressurize the pot. Had to keep adding pressure though. Then mixed up the Alumilite Clear according to the directions and poured it over the heart tubes in the mold. Put it in the pressure pot and kept it pressurized at 50 psi. (How much should I use for Alumilite?) It was late for a weeknight/schoolnight so went to bed. Took it out the next morning. Removed the blanks from the mold, and they looked like this. I was surprised that they did not look clear. I did note though that when I chipped a little piece off, it appeared to be clear material underneath the frosted looking resin.

Valentines Day Pen Blanks.JPG

Got to play again last night and turned the blanks. I was amazed at the long ribbons coming off the tool. Long and strong ribbons. I've turned quite a few store bought acrylic pen blanks and have done some circuit board pens. When those ribbons wrap themselves around the mandrel, I just brush them away. These almost seemed to tie themselves in knots! I had to turn the lathe off quite a few times and work at tearing off the wrapped shavings. No complaints though! Just thought that it was interesting at how strong the stuff is. The clarity did improve right away when I turned the blanks down. Micromeshed through 12000 and assembled the pen. Came upstairs and gave my Valentine her gift. And she does love it! Here are some pictures of my very simple beginning to tube-on casting (stickers).

Valentines Day Pen 1.JPGValentines Day Pen 2.jpgValentines Day Pen 3.jpg

Another learning point is that I need to make sure that the stickers are completely adhered to the tubes. I did a little saying (not clearly shown in the pictures) on a clear Avery label. You can see air bubbles under it. I'm guessing that if I had looked more carefully before I cast it, I would have noticed them and addressed it then. I'll need to really inspect these in the future.

Any comments and suggestions are very welcome! Thanks for looking! :) Greg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reiddog1

Great job Greg. I have had no luck with casting. I just finished a small can of castin craft and everything I tried looked more like castin crap! I may give casting another try, but with alumilite next time. Curtis (Mr. Cactus juice) has some great plans for molds out of plastic cutting boards on his website. Your off to a great start, now let's see some more.

Dave

Joe S.

Very nice! I've been wanting to try casting and I have a question, is there anyway other way than a pressure pot?

Buzzzz4

Fantastic start! It only goes uphill from here, and you look like you're starting in the middle of the hill. 50 psi is quite adequate for Alumilite. I've never tried tube in casting with Alumilite as I heard it can separate from the tubes, but these look like they worked. Good job!

To answer the question on casting without pressure, you can, but not with Alumilite. Some will say they have done Alumilite without pressure, but I'm betting little bubbles appeared. You can cast Silmar 41 or similar PR without a pressure pot. Look in the library under casting and you find lots of how-to's on casting without bubbles and such. Happy Casting!

Buzzzz4

When I talk about Alumilite, I am talking about Clear. I have no experience with the other Alumilites which may work with no pot. And yes, the MSDS does state there is toxicity. Use a ventilated room.

Triple Crown

Hi all. I haven't been able to log any computer time since posting this. (Have glimpsed at AIP site via phone in between activities though! Yep, I'm addicted!) Thanks for your comments on my first attempt!!

mold is scary looking but the end results from a first cast are outstanding
Thanks!! Yeah! :redface: I actually considered not putting up a picture of it because it's somewhat embarrassing. Thought that I should tell the whole experience though, and it was probably the biggest hurdle to overcome! It's an ugly tool, but did the job! :biggrin:

And yes, the MSDS does state there is toxicity. Use a ventilated room.
Thanks!! Very much appreciate this!! I read the MSDS and am quite happy with what seems to be a low level of toxicity of this product. The main reason I invested my money in Alumilite casting with a pressure pot, the product, air compressor... was that it seemed to be the safest and non-smelliest way to do casting. I run a double exhaust fan in the window of my little shop, which is in the basement of my home. I am really trying hard to be health conscious working with the the boys and all.

"It doesn't matter what the means to casting are. It is the end result that matters."
:good::) Thanks!

Once I start making something good, I'm going to join the next castaway box!
Me too!!

I've never tried tube in casting with Alumilite as I heard it can separate from the tubes
I hope not! :frown: But, I will keep you posted if it happens. If there are any threads about tube-in Alumilite problems or solutions..., please direct me. Thanks!!!

Your off to a great start, now let's see some more.
Thanks!! My next one I'm going to try is a postage stamp pen. Hopefully I can glue the stamps on the tubes tonight. So many weekend projects still to do! :mad: My son wants to finish his Artist's Pencil so maybe I'll still get to get into the shop today. :rolleyes: We'll try to post a picture of how he completes it.

Again, thank you all very kindly for your comments and suggestions!!! :) Greg

Last edited:
Top Bottom