First Casting Attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

Okay, it's actually my second attempt, but the first was so bad it went into the trash. Something about miscalculating the amount for reactant. These didn't go so smooth either. I'd just gotten them all poured, and things were going very well when I accidentally tipped the mode over and spilled quite a bit. I ended up just pouring some more on top of the first layer.

I know there are still some voids, but am anxious to see how they turn out.

Attachments

• IMAG0247 (Medium).JPG
    IMAG0247 (Medium).JPG
    38 KB · Views: 245
  • IMAG0248 (Medium).JPG
    IMAG0248 (Medium).JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMAG0249 (Medium).JPG
    IMAG0249 (Medium).JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0255 (Medium).JPG
    IMAG0255 (Medium).JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMAG0257 (Medium).JPG
    IMAG0257 (Medium).JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Like Forest Gump says "Casting pen blanks is like a box of chocolates. You never know what your going to get." Or something like that. The point is, you'll be surprised by what's inside more times than not. At least till you have a few gallons under your belt. Even then, it can be an adventure.

Brooks803

Gator jaw bone? PR or Alumilite? Looks like PR to me. The reverse painting will definitely give a nice effect. Just remember white will wash out most of that color so I'd go with a darker paint. Contrasting crushed stone would be cool in the voids too. Can't wait to see it turned!

ghostrider

Like Forest Gump says "Casting pen blanks is like a box of chocolates. You never know what your going to get." Or something like that. The point is, you'll be surprised by what's inside more times than not. At least till you have a few gallons under your belt. Even then, it can be an adventure.
You couldn't be more right. I remember this one blank that Eric gave me that was all brown, except for a yellow part around the middle. Turned out to be a yellow pen with a few minor spots and swirls of of brown.

ghostrider

Gator jaw bone? PR or Alumilite? Looks like PR to me. The reverse painting will definitely give a nice effect. Just remember white will wash out most of that color so I'd go with a darker paint. Contrasting crushed stone would be cool in the voids too. Can't wait to see it turned!
All PR.

Interference Voilet, Supper Russet, and black with some Macropearl thrown in.

SDB777

Are you measuring by the ounce and adding the required MEKP per ounce?
Something about miscalculating the amount for reactant.

Guess you'll need to turn this one soon, so we can all see what it came out like:biggrin:

Scott

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam

Did Forrest actually say that? :biggrin:

BSea

Did Forrest actually say that? :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure it's a deleted scene that's only in the extended version.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom