First casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan

Ok here is my first casted blank, I tried it out on a SL tube to see if it was gonna work. I think it turned out ok and as you can see from the pic the one I have for the pen I am gonna make has a bigger weave so it will show off the pattern better. Can you guess what it is? If you guessed Carbon Fiber then your right. This is the real deal and thanks to Bruce Boone for giving me the idea. I got one of his awesome rings and the light went on. So is there any interest in these? Probably gonna be around 15.00 to 20.00 for a set of blanks. Let me know what you think.

20077295464_DSCN3052.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

So do you think you'll be able to turn it down into the fiber stuff? Or will it be like snake skin blanks where you have to stay above the material? And what exactly is carbon fiber? (Must be something pricey I take it?) I hate to say it, but at first it looked like black rope to me, and really still does- but there must be more to it that I'm not aware of. Anyway, it does have a nice pattern and I can't wait to see the finished pen.

BTW, you should have actually made people guess! You gave the answer too easily. On this site, you're supposed to torture us with not letting on what it is for awhile- I think it's in the rules somewhere...[}:)][}:)]

Nolan

yes it will be like a snakeskin blank. Carbon fiber has been used for some time in aplications where super strength is needed and also light weight. Like racing and such. In recent years it has also got popular for using as trim pieces that are non structual. Bruce list a ring he makes and that where I got the idea. His photo is alot better than mine too.

johncrane

Nolan
it should appeal to some l would think. l like it my self,A few months back l was giving a sheet of carbon fiber buy a bikie mate,he used it on the sides of his bike tank as a paint protector it looked really good, the sheet he gave me has a glue backing on it so it should be easy too use just a cut and stick job.Also the finish on the out side is tops l haven't tried it yet' but one day [:p][:D]

LEAP

Nolan,
that looks neat, I'd like to see it finished into a mid sized pen. You got me thinking. In my younger and lighter days I did a bunch of rock climbing. The ropes we used had colorful casings with multiple strands of contrasting colors woven in. Colors from bright yellow to dark blues and purple were available in various sizes from a couple of millimeters up to 12+ mm. I have not done any casting but would be willing to round up some various size and color cord if you would like to give it a try.

Nolan

Phil that would be great! I am in the process of getting a cigar pen casted, so if all goes well I should have something to post in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom