First cast. Hi all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DennisM

Hi all,

Its been awhile since I was even turning, well I started again and have now moved into casting. (well ok, trying to move into casting lol) We'll see how the first pour goes.

Starting out with Royal Palm resin. Going to pick up some Alumilite this weekend cause I don't like waiting. figure to cast with the alumilite over the weekends and the RP on the weeknights and let it sit in the pot.

I am going to search as well, but anyone have a rough idea of how many 3/4x/3/4x5.5" block molds you get out of a 2lb kit?

I added the pics from my station setup and my first pour that is in the pot now.

Good to be back with everyone!

Attachments

• FirstPour.jpg
    FirstPour.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 213
  • FirstPour1.jpg
    FirstPour1.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 206

Brian G

I like the colors. Did you let the RP thicken before you poured?

I am going to search as well, but anyone have a rough idea of how many 3/4x/3/4x5.5" block molds you get out of a 2lb kit?

You'll probably get slightly different answers depending on how you go about the calculations. I'm going to round to the nearest gram.

Alumilite is 15.7g/in^3. A 3/4" x 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" = 22.69 in^3. One block filled to the very brim would require 356 grams of Alumilite.

A 2 lb Alumilite (2 lb x 453.6) would give you 907 g of Alumilite.

907/356 = 2.54 blocks. You'll want to make a few smaller molds.

A better answer is: Not enough to satisfy you, you'll wish you ordered a bigger amount, so just get the 16 lb size. :biggrin:

Those calculations also assume no waste. You will have some waste.

I'd suggest a 7/8" depth mold so that you can get a full 3/4" blank without having to worry about spillage when you transfer the mold to the pot.

3/4" depth works fine if you're pouring and not moving the mold, like for polyester resin or epoxy resin when bubbles are not a concern.

DennisM

Thank you.

And yup, she was about 110ish degrees when I poured. Then right into the pot.

I love the comment not enough to satisfy you. I have to go easy on purchases this time, as I dumped a lot to get started, the 21st is my xmas present spending on myself and looking at larger sizes,

Since it just for me atm , (unless I do really good and people want to buy them) hard to justify the cost to the other half. lol

Brian G

Give the other half the assignment of choosing colors. Then, "sorry, but I ran out of resin; these will have to wait, but I really like the colors!"

I don't sell blanks, but it's a lot of fun making them.

Top Bottom