First attempt at a worthless Wood casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithy

After asking on here for advice on worthless wood casting and receiving some sage advice Here is my first attempt.

The first photo is the wood that I wanted to use. Yellow box burl left over after cutting the block into pen blanks. I stabilized these two pieces in cactus juice and following George's (georges bits of timber fame) advice I cured them facedown over a tray so that excess juice could drain away rather than lay on the surface.

I then cast them in 105/207 epoxy mix with some blue mica added for color. I don't have a pressure pot yet and I took note of the general information in the library regarding PR not giving good results. I was also interested in how the epoxy would perform as I am thinking of doing other types of embedded materials an have been impressed by Ladycops results using this material.

Left for 24 hours and then turned after glueing in the tube with CA.

My usual CA finish on the top. Then I dropped a part of my last sierra kit on the floor and could not find it so could not assemble into a pen until more kits arrive.

Forgive the quality of the photos but it is a poor camera and my sight is not good either. The white specs in the blue are not visible to the naked eye and are I think some of the extra mica that changes color depending on what angle the light hits it at (not sure what the proper name is.

I think the other half of this blank will have more of the blue in it after turning but I will see tomorrow.

All comments and suggestions appreciated

Keith

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 246
Top Bottom