Evaluating a resin blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

I've been doing quite a bit of experimenting with resin casting (Alumilite and PR) and am looking for a process to evaluate the result... in other words, how do I know if a blank will make a "keeper" pen. What I don't want to do is waste time or a kit on something mediocre. I'm curious how others manage this.

The process I'm using at the moment is to standardize around a tube size (I picked 3/8") and keep a stock of different kits in that size. I drill the blank through at 3/8 and turn it between centers a bit before I cut or glue a tube in... if the blank looks good after I'm into it a bit, I'll pick a kit and glue a tube in and finish it into a pen... otherwise I'll discard it.

Anyone have a process they like for evaluating experiments?

SteveG

If I have any doubts, I simply mark centers, and turn to a cylinder, then sand and polish as much as is needed to make a decision. There is no lost "meat" from the blank at that point, but if I am still undecided(rare at that point), I will turn it a little further. In general, just cleaning up a round blank, or taking off the corners by way of ruff turning is all that is needed.

budnder

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds like a good idea - I'll give that a whirl.

As most of the blanks I've been doing lately are round, I guess another variation to turning between two centers would be to just center drill one end and collet the other.

I like the idea of not having to drill the unknown blank, though - less work and leaves all options open.

Top Bottom