Epoxy Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

If I use epoxy resin do i need to use a release spray in my PVC to keep it from sticking? And does it need to be put in a pressure pot?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

If I use epoxy resin do i need to use a release spray in my PVC to keep it from sticking? And does it need to be put in a pressure pot?

Thanks

Spray release never hurts and pressure depends whether it is tubes in or not, in or out not really a concern but tubes in depends on pressure. .
Lin

liljohn1368

Thanks

Spray release never hurts and pressure depends whether it is tubes in or not, in or out not really a concern but tubes in depends on pressure. .
Lin

Thanks I use the 3/4" PVC to cast a few poly resin. I don't have any release until Monday now I guess and I don't have a pressure pot is the reason for the questions. I was thinking of trying a couple epoxy blanks tomorrow.

jttheclockman

Thanks

Lin

Thanks I use the 3/4" PVC to cast a few poly resin. I don't have any release until Monday now I guess and I don't have a pressure pot is the reason for the questions. I was thinking of trying a couple epoxy blanks tomorrow.

That is different than poly resin. You will have problems. Not sure hat product you are using and what you are doing.

I use epoxy for all my casting. Make sure you use a epoxy that dries clear, I use West Systems 105 resin and 207 hardener. It has a long enough cure time that most of the bubbles work out without a pressure pot but not all of them. If you are going to cast pine cones coffee beans etc then you will need pressure.

Epoxy does not work as good when doing a multi color pour as the colors run together more because of the slow cure time. I do use a mold release with silicon molds but it is to protect the mold I can't say if you will need it or not with PVC. Epoxy is very harsh on silicon molds it pulls the oils out and "dries" them out so the mold life is not as long.

Epoxy is actually harder than PR or Alumilite (84.4 Shore D vs 80 for Pr and Alumilite) but it seems to cut easier so I have never had a blank blow out. Epoxy is about twice as expensive as other resins but the working time is longer and there are harsh fumes.

Mike

Sabaharr

I have never used mold release with poly resin on 3/4 inch PVC and never had a problem since poly actually shrinks ever so slightly. Now 1/2 inch is a different story. I suspect that in the manufacturing process the ID develops a wavy surface that is compounded by the small diameter. Not so much of an issue as the pipe size gets larger but mold release would not help with irregular sides on the mold. Although, I might have gotten the only joint of 3/4 with smooth sides in the store at the time. (The opposite is normally the case).

Top Bottom