Eopxy casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Have anyone used epoxy resin for casting pen blank? What is the advantage or disadvantage over other resin? I have left over epoxy resin from my other project. I used it for fiberglass structure. I would like to make some pen blanks if possible. Thanks for help.

Yoshi

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I need more information. Generally speaking, with Alumilite being a notable exception, many epoxy resins suffer from direct exposure to UV. Another "problem" with some epoxy resins is that they do not dry clear and have a tendency to "yellow" with age. Another disadvantage of the epoxy resins is that in almost every case, epoxy resins are more expensive to use simply because of their two "equal thick" parts make manufacturing more expensive that poly resins that use "fractional, thin" catalization.

Again, Alumilite Water Clear and Crystal Clear are epoxy resins that are exceptions to virtually all of the disadvantages I listed above, and, in fact when structural integrity is required or less brittle "threadable " resin is needed, Alumilite is usually a better choice for resin casting.

Without knowing the manufacture and brand name of the epoxy, it is difficult to give you solid and accurate information. While the "basics" of epoxy is the same from one to the other, each manufacturer and each epoxy brand may have VERY dissimilar "specific" properties.

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Alumilite is a urethane resin, most epoxy resins are going to be very brittle and prone to chipping.

Oops! This is exactly correct. The part A, part B had me thinking Epoxy. For some reason, "equal part" mixing always makes me think epoxy!

Last edited:

Thanks Andy. I'm aware of the problems you mention above but hoped for someone might have solutions or workaround to use of it. May be mixed with color or pigments. My epoxy is from System Three and use 2:1 mixing ratio. My fiberglass structure was painted so not afected by UV. I didn't know Alumilite is epoxy.

PenMan1

Sorry for giving you bad information, Yoshi. Alumalite is URATHANE RESIN. I was thinking of another modeling resin. System Three can use accept acrylic colorant, but it may be too brittle to turn.

Good luck!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Before I discovered polyester, I made several casts with System 3 epoxy, both clear and colored. Similar stuff they use for bar tops. Pens are still good today. It is a lot more expensive and the ones I used did not take a shine as well as polyester, but it will work. I still use epoxy for color fill of engravings and cutouts.

thewishman

I have a friend that casts with West (I think) and it is shiny and VERY durable - can't scratch it with a penny. He uses resin saver molds and doesn't need much epoxy to make a blank.

Top Bottom