Enamel Model Paint to Colorize Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

I was wondering if anyone has ever used Testors or similar enamel paint as a dye for either PR or Alumilite? What were the results?

The reason I ask is I have a bunch of model paints from when I put together models that are still in good condition and if I could use these to tint or colorize resin then it opens a whole new avenue for various colors!

I use these model paints to paint tubes prior to casting with no issues but thats because the paint has been allowed to dry and cure out.

JohnU

In the past I have successfully used Testors enamel, nail polish, and oil based paints that come in the tubes with PR. It smells for a little while but cures just fine. You might have to add a few extra drops of hardner but it works. I haven't use any with Alumilite but would think as long as its not water based it should be fine.

Last edited:

chartle

I tried all the alternative colorants, oil paint, chalk, acrylic paint, etc and the only one that gave me anything close to good results was black powder coating paint. All the others hardened but the color was not the same until I bought the two assortments of pearl ex from Micheal's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom