Don't you just love it when that happens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

I finally got my mini cones died, hardened(not stabilised) and cast with gold and light blue poly resin.
Carefully drilled the blanks and glued in the tubes. Oh yea, these are goin ta be goooodd.
Turned this half to fit a cigar and was really happy with it. CA finish was good.
Then I started on the nib end, Gee Whiz, well that's not exactly what I said, 300 pieces all over the shed floor.:mad::mad::mad::mad:.
So now the tubes are back in the cigar box, ready for the next try.

Thanks for looking.
Bob.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 230
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marko50

It's nice to know I'm in good company. Heck of a week. Burned through a ton of Alumilite, ruined a number of nice blanks and watched my drill press self destruct. Back to the drawing board boys.

Cmiles1985

Same deal here! I was going for a custom look with a slimline nib and centerband in gold on an urban camo acrylic blank. The top segment has a tenon to glue and fit a fired .45 ACP shell which will have a custom clip. Anyhow, I screwed up the bottom section by pressing in the nib AFTER the transmission, then blew the blank apart trying to disassemble! At least the top portion is in great shape and all I need is a new bottom.

robutacion

I finally got my mini cones died, hardened(not stabilised) and cast with gold and light blue poly resin.
Carefully drilled the blanks and glued in the tubes. Oh yea, these are goin ta be goooodd.
Turned this half to fit a cigar and was really happy with it. CA finish was good.
Then I started on the nib end, Gee Whiz, well that's not exactly what I said, 300 pieces all over the shed floor.:mad::mad::mad::mad:.
So now the tubes are back in the cigar box, ready for the next try.

Thanks for looking.
Bob.

Hi Bob,

I was going to say, "flap disc system...!" but them I though, when Mr. Murphy visits, flap disc ain't going to save you, huh...???:eek::frown:

I was visited on the weekend by Mr Murphy, I picked up some green but, interesting type nuts (well, not really...!) that I never saw cast before (who would ever think of such thing...?:biggrin:) and got me excited about a new Resifill pen blank so, on Saturday I attempted to dry it (a bunch of 6 or 7).....
To be continued, as soon as I finish/salvage/work on the sample a little more...!

Yes Bob, that does really give you the S#!t$...!:eek::redface:

Cheers
George

lyonsacc

I feel for you Bob. I got a special order (which is rather rare for me) and ordered a "specialty" acrylic blank (20% or so of the sale price of the pen) - blew it up in the lathe. Went to the local Woodcraft and spent almost 50% on a replacement. Turned perfectly to size, went to pick up some sand paper, hit the saw horse, which hit a stray piece of wood, that tip over onto my table, that knocked the freshly turned blank on to the floor. I've never had a blank crack from hitting the floor - until yesterday. So now, back to Woodcraft . . .

Jim Burr

Banned
So the whole thing shattered on pressing Bob? Just want to figure out the what's what. I've had that happen with soapstone. What are you thinking was an issue? Those were some cool looking blanks!!

Bob Wemm

So the whole thing shattered on pressing Bob? Just want to figure out the what's what. I've had that happen with soapstone. What are you thinking was an issue? Those were some cool looking blanks!!

Jim,
It flew to pieces while still on the mandrel. I think the cones were still not hard enough and let go of the tube.:mad:
The half that exploded was looking even better than the surviving blank. I think I will have to get the cones stabilised and then use them on larger size pens, as they are a bit big for the smaller diameter units.:confused:

Cheers,
Bob.

Gary Beasley

Same deal here! I was going for a custom look with a slimline nib and centerband in gold on an urban camo acrylic blank. The top segment has a tenon to glue and fit a fired .45 ACP shell which will have a custom clip. Anyhow, I screwed up the bottom section by pressing in the nib AFTER the transmission, then blew the blank apart trying to disassemble! At least the top portion is in great shape and all I need is a new bottom.

if you have the disassembly kit that the tranny slips into to drive it out you can use this for putting the nib in after the tranny goes in. You get the support the tube needs without driving the tranny in any further.

Top Bottom