Doing first casting, need help with tinting resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to do my first PR casting. I found resin at my local Michaels along with the catalyst but all they had was trasparent dye in three colors for it. For this first try I want opaque black. What is the easiest way to do that? Is there anything I can pickup at my local hobby or home improvement stores?

Thanks,

Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Todd,

Some have had good luck with toner from an old laser printer or copy machine. Personally, I use a black paste pigment from Woodcraft made by System Three for epoxy. One thing to note...I do not use polyester resin. I use Alumilite Clear so I can not say for sure that it will work but the pigment container says it is for epoxy or polyester resin so it should. I have also used Artist paint that comes in the aluminum tubes to tint epoxy. Not sure if it would work with PR or not

Hope that helps some.

Skye

I would say that toner ink would fade in sunlight very quickly. May be good now, but in 6 months I would bet it's faded a good bit.

OKLAHOMAN

Todd I have used india ink, you can get it at Micheals,

Todd I have used India Ink that you can get at the same Micheals you got your resin also imbossing powder can be used also at Miceals or Hobby Lobby

its_virgil

India Ink will work...Here is an example. But using pigment for resin will be the best.

2006101321930_ribbon.jpg
<br />

Do a good turn daily!
Don

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Chris,

Yes I do indeed! I also use the S3 stuff I mentioned. I did not recommend the Transtint because the little bit of experimenting that I did with PR had disasterous results when using Transtint. It just would not set up even with double the number of catylist drops.

Another reason to use Alumilite![:D]

melogic

Curtis,
Thanks for the Alumilite link in the other post. I ordered some of that clear stuff with about 4 or 5 colors. I will post here when I get my first cast done. Probably sometime next weekend if everything is here by then. Thanks to everyone for all of this information in this forum.

chigdon

Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />Chris,

Yes I do indeed! I also use the S3 stuff I mentioned. I did not recommend the Transtint because the little bit of experimenting that I did with PR had disasterous results when using Transtint. It just would not set up even with double the number of catylist drops.

Another reason to use Alumilite![:D]

That is good to know. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom