Do I need a vacuum and pressure?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSNCO

I cast with PR in PVC tubes. I'm looking at eliminating bubbles in my casts and stepping up to do clear casts over some labels or stamps and doing some coffee bean or shredded money blanks. I'd also like to try some Alumilite. I'm not looking at stabilizing or casting worthless wood blanks.

I've read the tutorial to convert the HF pressure pot for casting. Do I really need to attach a vacuum mechanism to this pot or can I do what I want with just pressure?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that as a general rule it was vacuum for stabilization and pressure for casting.

I use a converted paint pot for my pressure casting and it works great...

BSea

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that as a general rule it was vacuum for stabilization and pressure for casting.

I use a converted paint pot for my pressure casting and it works great...

Pressure for casting

Vacuum for stabilization

I agree.

Are you having many problems with bubbles currently? I don't use pressure for casting straight PR blanks. Frankly, I don't think it's necessary. I'm not saying I never have any bubbles, but I've never noticed any in the blanks I've turned, and nobody has ever complained of any in PR. Now alumilite is another story. You must use pressure on alumilite.

Last edited:

PSNCO

I rarely have bubbles anymore on my straight PR blanks. And, I probably won't use it for my usual castings with PR. However, I do want to start casting some shavings and shredded items and some labels and stamps. And play around with alumilite some.
So, off to HF to get a pressure pot. Since I won't be adding a vacuum to the pot, do I need any additional parts to pressure cast? Is it simply cutting off the draw tube in the pot?

Jim Burr

Banned
If you just want to do some experimentation, vibration is great for 2,3 color casting with PR. More advanced methods require more advanced tools. As stated above..."Pressure for casting, Vacuum for stabilizing".

Top Bottom