Differences in Alumilite forumlations - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Former Moderator

Photos: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewunch View Post
Ok, do you have the formula for transparent aluminum?
Curtis != Scotty
alphageek is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphageek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewunch View Post
Ok, do you have the formula for transparent aluminum?
Curtis != Scotty
LOL our own little Miracle worker!

Curtis's shop cam....
Attached Thumbnails
transparent-ali.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Curtis, you mention the Alumilite Regular not having much use for Pen Turning. Question, I want to attach items to a tube, then pour a solid black color so when I turn, I'll reveal the glued on items. My issue is I don't want it transparent at all. If the Alumilite Regular won't work, what do you suggest?

Thanks!

Mike
makirk is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Head Moderator

Photos: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by makirk View Post
Curtis, you mention the Alumilite Regular not having much use for Pen Turning. Question, I want to attach items to a tube, then pour a solid black color so when I turn, I'll reveal the glued on items. My issue is I don't want it transparent at all. If the Alumilite Regular won't work, what do you suggest?

Thanks!

Mike
Mike,

That may be a little bit of a mis-statement on my part. The reason I say it does not have much use for penturning is that that it is so fast, most folks have a hard time with it. Also, the tan colored stuff is hard to get a good color other than black due to having to overcome the tan part. That said, if you have your ducks in a row and work fast, it is possible to make pen blanks with it and the blank would certainly do what you want it to do. Personally, I use RC3 when I need black due to the longer open time and lower cost but it is only available in gallons which may be much more than you need.

The original, affordable home stabilizing solution!
Now available exclusively from TurnTex...Alumilite Clear and White in 1 gallon kits (1/2 Gal A&B)
www.TurnTex.com
MesquiteMan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesquiteMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by makirk View Post

Thanks!

Mike
Mike,

That may be a little bit of a mis-statement on my part. The reason I say it does not have much use for penturning is that that it is so fast, most folks have a hard time with it. Also, the tan colored stuff is hard to get a good color other than black due to having to overcome the tan part. That said, if you have your ducks in a row and work fast, it is possible to make pen blanks with it and the blank would certainly do what you want it to do. Personally, I use RC3 when I need black due to the longer open time and lower cost but it is only available in gallons which may be much more than you need.
Thanks Curtis,

That's what I was hoping. Appreciate all the info, saves us rookies a lot of time and headaches.
makirk is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellsy View Post
Never mind on the added info Curtis.....I managed to find it on the West System website after a bit of clicking and searching.

West System Properties

Dave
One thing to point out, Dave, at least for others, is that West Systems is a laminating epoxy, not a casting epoxy. Sure, it may work for casting but is not designed for it.
Thanks Curtis, I was just making the product info available because I know some people do use it.

I bought some to try it out for my own curiosity. I am currently looking into another source of Epoxy that is supposed to be designed for it. I believe it is called Potting Epoxy. I'll have some next week to play with as well.

Dave
Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 14

Curtis,

I noticed in one of your videos that you didn't paint your tube or blank when using alumilite white. Is that because the white is not translucent and when you dye it, it gives a solid color unlike the clear? Tried PR, but I've gone through 16oz with nothing to show for it. I think I would like alumilite better, but do not want the translucent look. Thanks for the info Curtis.

Dave
reiddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
Curtis, this is a great post!! But...can you decode the terms...shrinkage, shore, Elongation and so on. With a post of this detail, all the stuff that it means would be cool. Thank you sir!!!
Jim,

I did! See the first part of the post under definitions!
Curtis: You know that's a "MAN" THANG! :)
joefyffe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #29 (permalink)

Hi Curtis,

I have been trying to make some blanks at home but have not had a good success yet. I have a pressure pot good to 80 PSI and a vacuum chamber good to 26" (max for our altitude). I started using Allumilite Water Clear but find it takes to long to cure in the pressure pot and all my additives I use settle to the bottom. What do you use or recommend? Does it change the time to cure when you have it under vacuum or pressure?

PS. I have been using your Cactus Juice to stabilize different woods and have had great success! I do have a question for you if you can PM me on dying wood with Cactus juice. I tried it once with a punky spalted piece of wood and it only seemed to take 10% of the color intensity I mixed.
Bitemeflys is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 13

Default Update on Alumilite

I wonder if we can get an updated recommendation on the Alumilite products as some have changed.

Thanks, Mark T.
NCwoodworker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads