It didn't work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

08K.80

I painted some tubes and sprayed them with rustoleum clear. They sat for five days and I cast them in clear resin. When I took them out of the molds, there were air pockets against the painted surface. I turned the resin off the tubes to re-use them and while I was turning them, they came loose from the tubes.
It looks like maybe the base color paint failed. It was sticky, so maybe it reacted with the resin and popped loose.

I am trying another one and will see if it is any better tomorrow.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

what type of paint did you use on the tubes?

In my limited experience I've painted tubes with acrylic paint and let them dry for several hours to several days. Either way it reacted with the resin. So I then started to do a thin CA finish over the paint. That seemed to help. Just make sure to give the CA plenty of time to off gas.

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

The only thing I've had any luck with is Elmers Glue. Some use Mod Podge but I haven't had anything turn out with that yet. I paint the tubes with enamel spray paint and let set for a few days then coat the tube with glue and go from there. Before I cast I let the glue dry for 48 hours then cast. Good Luck

08K.80

So CA would be better than the clear spray?

Would it help if I sand the outside before casting?

I wouldn't think Elmer's glue would stand up to the chemicals. I'll have to try it.

Thanks for the replies. I have some other things to try.:wink:

08K.80

I tried another one. It looks like there are no air pockets, but it's still sticky and a little soft. I will give it a day or two. When it hardens, I will attempt to turn it.:eek:

Kenny Durrant

What did you try? Are you just casting painted tube or are you embedding an object. Just curious so I might try something different if I have problems. Thanks.

08K.80

What did you try? Are you just casting painted tube or are you embedding an object. Just curious so I might try something different if I have problems. Thanks.

I'm attempting to paint a tube and cast it.

I turned the second blank and it was a failure also. It has only a couple small spots that are loose on the ends. It might have been from sanding the ends square?? Still unacceptable. I'm going to continue with some other ideas. This thing will not whoop me...I hope.

low_48

Why clear coat the paint? The casting will give you the gloss, the paint can be flat sheen but will be gloss when you polish the resin. The base color on clear coat cars is really low sheen.

08K.80

Why clear coat the paint? The casting will give you the gloss, the paint can be flat sheen but will be gloss when you polish the resin. The base color on clear coat cars is really low sheen.

What should I use? The paints are gloss. How can I get the resin to bond with the paint and not pop loose? I thought the paint needed protected from the resin. Any advice is greatly appreciated.:)

OOPS

Have you thought about trying another type of resin? You never stated which kind you are using, but if you want to try Alumilite, you can buy a small package of it from Hobby Lobby that is enough to pour about 3 blanks. Be sure and use their 40% off coupon, as Alumilite is pricey. Alumilite is sensitive to water, or water based paints, so make sure your paint is not water soluble. Keep us posted, as I am sure others will have suggestions too.

sschering

I was wondering.. why not thin and tint a small batch of casting resin and brush that onto the tubes. Let it cure then cast over that.. same materials so there should be no issues.

08K.80

Have you thought about trying another type of resin? You never stated which kind you are using, but if you want to try Alumilite, you can buy a small package of it from Hobby Lobby that is enough to pour about 3 blanks. Be sure and use their 40% off coupon, as Alumilite is pricey. Alumilite is sensitive to water, or water based paints, so make sure your paint is not water soluble. Keep us posted, as I am sure others will have suggestions too.

From what I've read, Alumilite is pretty expensive and requires a pressure system. I'm using polyester, I got some of the Silmar stuff after reading about it here.

I was wondering.. why not thin and tint a small batch of casting resin and brush that onto the tubes. Let it cure then cast over that.. same materials so there should be no issues.

I don't think I understand what you mean. I want the resin to be clear, so the paint can be seen. And wouldn't painting the resin on the paint do the same as if it is cast? I did use a brush to make sure it was coated very well before pouring the resin over it.

There were no bubbles at all while it was in the block of cured resin, but when I finished turning it down, I noticed a few small spots. No big deal, I could have lived with that, but today there are a lot more spots that are loose.

Top Bottom