Custom Cast Handles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

I am waiting on my Skogger and Rotondo tools to arrive and was curious if anyone has ever created custom poured handles for your tools?

Just curious how they would hold up under use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

After seeing Jonathon do a drop test on PR, I'd say Alumilite would be the safest choice, and even then I'd be a little nervous, but that's just me and I'm one paranoid s.o.b.

wood-of-1kind

Hi Fred,
I have turned an acrylic tool handle and it is very solid in feel without any vibration. It is close to 1.5" in diameter and about 6" long. Don't make the handle too long since it may compromise it's strength.

Hopefully the tools will arrive shortly and that you will put them to good use.

Regards,

soligen

After seeing Jonathon do a drop test on PR, I'd say Alumilite would be the safest choice, and even then I'd be a little nervous, but that's just me and I'm one paranoid s.o.b.

I wouldn't try PR. I think alumilte is plenty strong, but ask Curtis (Mesquiteman) to be sure if you want to try it. Seems it would be a bit on the expensive side.

wood-of-1kind

Perhaps a picture is in order.

P1010007.JPG

Attachments

• P1010017[1].JPG
    P1010017[1].JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

jasontg99

I am waiting on my Skogger and Rotondo tools to arrive

Hey Fred,

Finally decided to get the skogger and rotondo huh? You will not regret it one bit. These are the only tools I use for turning now. At least if you decide to make some tool handles you won't have to go far to find some molds. :wink:

Jason

Buzzzz4

Peter that's cool. Now I think there may be a use for the can of Cast n craft resin that turned hard. (my shop is carpet so no fear of drop and break.) Fred, Alumilite would normally be the way to go on something like this. One drop of that beautiful handle and the PR would smash.

SDB777

Why ya'll droppin' your tools so much? Haven't done that yet(although I probably just doomed my life forever now)........

That is an amazing cast for that carbide tooling!

Scott (how many ounces of PR) B

Top Bottom