Cup use and PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kevrob

I KNOW I have seen a thread on this before, but cannot recall if it was on IAP's site or the Yahoo Penturners group site, and the search was frankly no help. Of course, now that I am ready to cast some PR, I cannot find the info anywhere. I have read most of the articles in the library that I could find on casting, but none specifically answered the question on the types of cups that could/could not be used with PR.

I have the Castin' Craft brand of PR. I have seen on one thread where a person's cup was eaten by the PR and that plastic #5 is acceptable. But I cannot find plastic #5 cups. Now, I didn't go to the store yet...that is my last option. I pulled a few different kinds from work. I have the basic white Styrofoam cups, the paper type cups coated in plastic on the inside, and a red plastic #6 cup which came from Sam's Club. Can anyone attest to which of these, if any, will work?

Thanks!
Kevin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I know the Styrofoam is out, not sure about the white paper with plastic?? on the inside, usually that's a waxy material, and if the red ones from Sams are the real thin flexible like the 16 and 20 ounce Dixie cups they will get eaten up as well, The best ones I've found are the 10 OZ old fashion high ball glasses, they are crystal clear and Wal-Mart used to carry them in the party section, if not find a party barn or other party supply store. My Sil found some that are about 12 or 14 ounces that are also OK.

renowb

I use the 3 oz bathroom cups. I know they are small but enough for my use.

Brooks803

I use the wax lined paper cups. I can find them in 9-5-3oz sizes. perfect for all size castings. won't eat through and can even use them for stopper blanks if wanted. I've used them on Silmar 41 and castin craft PR.

bruce119

You need the hard clear cups. Hefty had a nice crystal clear that worked great wall mart stopped carrying it they still have the 9 oz. Any way stay away from the flimsy frosted and red the PR will melt it. You need the stiffer clear plastic cups. I heard about Sam's I have been using the solo clear 9 oz from wall mart. I miss the Hefty crystal clear 18 ox cups they worked great. I did find some 16 oz Dixy clear cups left over from Halloween with a Halloween print on them at a dollar store that work just fine.

The thing is you need the stiffer crystal clear cups.

I don't know about the wax. I would be afraid of the wax contaminating the PR. Things are hard enough.

just my thoughts

seawolf

I gave up on plastic cups. I bought several shot and jigger glasses at a thrift store. measure the amount of water the mold will hold in a measuring cup (for reference to amount of catlist) then pour into glass. Use a sharp nail or scribe to mark the glass. After you pour wipe the glass out with a paper towel then then a paper towel wet with acetone. The glasses are also safer if you are pre-heating your resin. DAMHIKT (fire in oven)
Mark

RAdams

Banned
I use silicone muffin pan cups for my PR. Each pan is 6 five ounce cups that will last forever. The dry PR flakes right out of the soft silicone cup, and if you leave a little bit in the bottom, they make amazing pendant blanks.

PTownSubbie

Lots of good recommendations above. If you are still uncertain, do a little test. Place a little PR in the bottom and if it doesn't eat through...all is good and go for it.

KDM

Styrofoam will dissolve. A lot of folk seem to favour the paper cups with the wax on the inside. THIS might be the thread you're looking for.

kevrob

That was the post. Thanks for that and all the comments. I casted last night using some harder plastic glasses (#6 plastic) with no problems and used a ziploc container as a mold. The only issue was that in the middle of it, the wife said dinner was ready, and I let it set to much before I added my second color. I just got done breaking up the pieces and adding them to a new cast.

PenMan1

KEvin:
I found the little RubberMaid Recycle 5 cups at Walmart. I bought the "yogurt" size. about 20 of them. they are the perfect size for one pen blank and I can fit 8 of them into the HF large ultrasonic cleaner. I just let the pr dry in them and reuse them. They work great.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've used Starbucks cold drink cups and they work fine. At some Starbucks you can get a stack for the asking when you buy a drink.

Top Bottom