cow bone help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

curlymaplefan

I am new here...I have been trying to make pens etc.. out of cow bone
I get them made either in the process of turning of 4-5 days after it's done it splits..

Here's what I have done..

cleaned the bone.
boiled in laundry detergent for 2hrs...
dry for about one week.
soak in peroxide for 1-day.
dry for about 3-4 days

in turning,sand to rough dimensions put ca on it,let dry a few min.
finish the sizing and finish just in a ca finish,maybe 3 coats

thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Snazzypens

Gidday mine did too but it was dropped though. So I hope you get an answer but I only soaked my in the peroxide for an hour
bye

Rifleman1776

Not many here do bone (antler excepted) because thick enough sections are hard come by. I believe you are over processing it. One boiling in water to kill any organisims should be sufficient. Let it rest and dry naturally. Depending on conditions, maybe a week or two for drying. I've used bone for lotsa things other than pens. That's an educated guess. Bone is tough stuff. I have several pieces on a shelf in the shop waiting for a genius idea of how to use. After five years, no splitting.

Stevej72

Here's what I have used, from this website: http://home.att.net/~rspragg/bonecure.html
PREPARING FRESH BONE
(For Turning)

In preparation of fresh bone (use marrow bone only), cut off the joint ends and then boil the bones in baking soda, it's an alkali and dissolve's grease easily in water), or lime water, (another bleaching agent also called chlorinated lime) with approximately one teaspoon of alum added to each quart of water. Boil this for one to three hours depending on the size and fat content of the bone. Rinse the bone well in several changes of water, and then bleach the bones for several days in the sun and open air.

Another method, which I think is more effective but which demands a greater degree of care, is to cut the bone into pieces of the desired size and after it has been boiled the piece is dried and ready to shape and work. Place the bone in a bleach of 40% hydrogen peroxide (taking care not to burn your fingers) for 24 to 48 hours. This method will give you the best white color results. 40% hydrogen peroxide can be bought at hair salon supply stores.

Another method is to bring to a boil the steer bones in 1/2 cup of enzyme bleach, (Axion, BIZ, ERA, Plus, or Wish), these bleaches attacks the proteins and eats away the fat and meat parts that are on the bone), and simmer for 4 to 5 hours. These bleaches makes the bones white. (may not want the bones white, but natural) Rinse the bones in cold water and scrap away any remaining cartilage material Rinse several times before putting in a fresh pot of water. Repeat this simmering process. Thoroughly rinse again and let dry for up to a week. Bones may be dried in less time in a very low oven.

Make sure that there are no porous parts included in your finish piece. These porous parts will occur around the joints at both ends of the bone and some in the center.

bkc

I don't claim to be an expert on cow bones. I have cleaned up turkey leg bones to make wingbone calls. Cut the closed ends off the bones, boil with a few drops of dawn dish soap in the water. Once boiled good, run a pipe cleaner or such through the bone to clean out any marrow. I soaked my bones in regular peroxide for 24 hours. Removed from that and set to dry a couple days. That seemed to work for me. The dawn dish soap really takes that 'grease' out of the bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom