Couldn't resist! (Wood pictures)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Was at the woodcraft in San Antonio today and saw a block of wood that looked interesting.. I looked at it and moved on, came back and looked at it again, then moved on.. then grabbed it as I was about to go through checkout.

Its 7.5" x 7.5" x 5 " in size and is spalted maple. (Strange thing is, up in Canada, 90% of the hardwood trees are maple and I travel all the way to Texas and end up buying.....*drumroll*... MAPLE :rolleyes:

It looks better in person then the pictures and I can't wait to cut into it sometime and see what penblanks she is hiding.

It looks like I better add a stabilizing setup to my wishlist....

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 141
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 136
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just Me... I love the woods with holes and inclusions.

I also like turning them and NOT trying to fill the holes!

But, on Buckeye blanks, they do look nice filling the holes with saw dust/CA.

One of my 2014 goals is to experiment with Inlace fillings. :wink:

This looks nice - enjoy!

mywoodshopca

Just Me... I love the woods with holes and inclusions.

I also like turning them and NOT trying to fill the holes!

But, on Buckeye blanks, they do look nice filling the holes with saw dust/CA.

One of my 2014 goals is to experiment with Inlace fillings. :wink:

This looks nice - enjoy!

Yep, I love the natural holes on the woods and I have some powders but haven't done too much fillings yet.

I figure I should be able to get 80+ pen blanks out of that block if I cut carefully :)

Last edited:

mywoodshopca

I cut it up today and I got about 65+ pen blanks from it(around 7/8" x 7/8")

I was worried about the wax when I first saw it, but it don't look like it soaked in much at all. A few would need to be scraped clean and a heatgun may take care of any residue?

It is pretty inside the block though :biggrin:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Submerge the ones that still have wax on them in a boiling pot of water. The heat will melt the wax and being lighter than water, it will float to the surface. Then you can skim off the wax and take the blanks out. They should dry pretty fast also. A heat gun will just melt the wax and drive it deeper into the wood.

Not sure where in Texas you live but if you are in SA again and heading north, give me a shout and stop in for a visit! I am just off I35 a mile or so and easy to get to!

mywoodshopca

Submerge the ones that still have wax on them in a boiling pot of water. The heat will melt the wax and being lighter than water, it will float to the surface. Then you can skim off the wax and take the blanks out. They should dry pretty fast also. A heat gun will just melt the wax and drive it deeper into the wood.

Not sure where in Texas you live but if you are in SA again and heading north, give me a shout and stop in for a visit! I am just off I35 a mile or so and easy to get to!

Thanks! I never thought about that with the heat gun.

I would love to stop in sometime to see your stabilizing pots. I am out in Canyon Lake and head into NB pretty often.

Thanks
Jason

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator

I would love to stop in sometime to see your stabilizing pots. I am out in Canyon Lake and head into NB pretty often.

Thanks
Jason

Jason, I did not realize you were so close! I just assumed you were way in another part of Texas! Heck, if you are at Canyon Lake, you are only 15-20 minutes from me, depending on where on the lake! I am on the south side of San Marcos south of the outlet malls. Coming down 306, you take Hoffman lane over to Hunter Road. It is is then just a couple of miles to my shop! Come on by, I am in the shop all day every day and would love to have you! Give me a call at 512-738-0775 and let's set it up! Don't need more than a hour or two advance notice normally!

mywoodshopca

Thanks
Jason

Jason, I did not realize you were so close! I just assumed you were way in another part of Texas! Heck, if you are at Canyon Lake, you are only 15-20 minutes from me, depending on where on the lake! I am on the south side of San Marcos south of the outlet malls. Coming down 306, you take Hoffman lane over to Hunter Road. It is is then just a couple of miles to my shop! Come on by, I am in the shop all day every day and would love to have you! Give me a call at 512-738-0775 and let's set it up! Don't need more than a hour or two advance notice normally!

Sounds great. I will give you a call within the next few days. :)

Thanks
Jason

Top Bottom