Cottonwood Stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marko50

...Just curious to know if any of those who stabilize have tried it on Cottonwood Bark? I do some carving with the material and have a good stash of it. I keep looking at it wondering how it would turn if stabilized.

It's a pretty dirty wood and can dull carving blades rapidly, so I would assume that even with stabilization it would dull your tools quickly. The grain patterns throughout the bark are fabulous, I have just never seen a pen made out of it...yet!

Comments?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

You can turn cottonwood bark and you don't even have to stabilize it. However it is very soft, so stabilizing might not be a bad idea. I guess I never noticed it dulling my tools any faster than anything else I turned....

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Bark does not stabilize well. If you think about it, one of the primary purposes of bark is to protect the tree. Consider bark as the tree's raincoat. As a result, it is resistant to liquid, including stabilizing resin.

Nedge

Cottonwood Bark

I have turned Hemlock and Douglas Fir Bark, collected from local beaches. The salt water holds it together, use the inner bark as the outside is more brittle. I have also used cottonwood bark from downed trees in the river ( 2 inches thick) as well for fly tying tables. I realize you don't live near an ocean.:)
Ed

Marko50

This particular stash of cottonwood bark came from a tree that was 165 years old. A big old lighting bolt brought the whole thing down. It was a "Fremont Cottonwood", Utah's largest deciduous tree. The thickness runs from 4" to 8" and carves like butter! It's amazing to think about all the history that passed during this particular trees life. Started in 1847 and died in 2012.

Top Bottom