Copper tape for steampunk blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

1mm thickness is way too thick. I checked the eBay ad you cited and the actual thickness is 1mil or 0.001" which is 0.025mm. That strikes me as too thin.

I would think that you would want to use 0.004" thickness or so, which is 0.1mm ... depending on how you are going to texture the foil.

Also, the foil you referenced has a glue backing which you may not want.

le_skieur

1mm thickness is way too thick. I checked the eBay ad you cited and the actual thickness is 1mil or 0.001" which is 0.025mm. That strikes me as too thin.

I would think that you would want to use 0.004" thickness or so, which is 0.1mm ... depending on how you are going to texture the foil.

Also, the foil you referenced has a glue backing which you may not want.

You are right Mal,
1 mil is what I had in mind but not wrote well.

Thanks

Charlie_W

Many folks use copper foil tape in different widths with adhesive backing from stained glass suppliers.
Opt for the copper back foil tape which should be less expensive than silver backed of black backed. These other backings are what you would see when you look through the stained or clear glass and see the underside of the applied tape.
They also have some wavy edge copper tape as well.

Tip: Keep your copper tape in a sealed ziplock bag to help keep the tape from oxidizing.

Brian G

I've used a different brand, which I bought through Amazon, that has the same specs as what you referenced. I haven't had any problems. The adhesive isn't as strong as HVAC foil.

In retrospect, I should have chosen at least a 3" width, or even 4". I picked 1" and end up with two seams because a Sierra-style tube has a circumference of about 1-3/8". A 4" tape width would cover most tube lengths in one wrap, except for a Long Clicker.

I suggest deciding on the longest length tube you intend to use, and picking a tape width one size greater.

mike4066

Hi,

I would like to try making steampunk blanks. I already cast with PR and I got my preasure pot.

I found everything I need except the copper tape that I'm not shure about it.
Actualy, this is what I found: Copper Foil Tape 1" x 10ft EMI Conductive Adhesive SHIP from USA | eBay

It's a 1mm thick, is it enough or thicker is better. What do you suggest! Where do you buy your's?

Thanks for helping me

I bought my copper tape on eBay as well. I would go with at least a 2" width so that you can wrap a tube a tube in one piece. (that's what I did). Then I cut up the 2" width down to smaller pieces for my blanks.

le_skieur

Hi,

I would like to try making steampunk blanks. I already cast with PR and I got my preasure pot.

I found everything I need except the copper tape that I'm not shure about it.
Actualy, this is what I found: Copper Foil Tape 1" x 10ft EMI Conductive Adhesive SHIP from USA | eBay

It's a 1mm thick, is it enough or thicker is better. What do you suggest! Where do you buy your's?

Thanks for helping me

I bought my copper tape on eBay as well. I would go with at least a 2" width so that you can wrap a tube a tube in one piece. (that's what I did). Then I cut up the 2" width down to smaller pieces for my blanks.

Mike,
What thickness are you using?

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Stained glass artists use it for foiling the glass edges of the individual pieces, I'v use it a lot for the intended purpose. Michaels and HL carry it.
WB

Top Bottom