Consolidated Reference list

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navyjoe

Hello all.

I am fairly new to the site, and I have been turning for about 18 months now. Because of this site I have ventured into creating my own blanks. Made my first PR blank with Jacquard Pearl Ex powders. It has been a blast so far and I look forward to turning it and making more.

My concern is that there is no simple reference page for new people like me to dive deeper into making blanks. Yes, there are a hundred or so pages dedicated here, plus many youtube videos, but at least for me this is so much information it really isn't information anymore. In trying to find different and better pigments I spent an hour looking at makeup sites trying to figure out how to purchase Mica Powder from costal scents. So I now know a ton about eye shadow, but still no idea what to buy concerning dyeing blanks.

So I have what I hope is a simple request. Somewhere in the blank making thread can there be a 'start here' post where new people like me can go to learn about the casting process (material options and recommended places to purchase).

For example, I purchased the Casting Craft from Michaels. It was the easiest for me to get started with and I was able to use the 40% coupon with it. This is a great entry level option and I am having fun with it. However, the obvious draw back for me is A) the smell, and B) it doesn't like humidity (and being a Florida resident, there are no low humidity days). So I came here to research other options and just became overwhelmed. Alumilite, Silmar 41, what you can or cannot color them with, additional materials (pressure pot) and on and on. Easily 150 pages of threads to sift thru to try and find something useful and applicable to what I was looking for.

I am sure this isn't a simple request and I would love to contribute where I can. However I am just the new guy and do not have the experience to really add to the conversation other than asking questions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Hi Joe,

I do not cast so I can't answer your specific questions however, I am sure there are many who can help.
Did you check out the articles in the library here? There is a Casting Tab with a bunch of articles there.

I hope you find the info you need.

Post a pic of your cast when you get that pen made!

Last edited:

navyjoe

I did check out the casting tab, and that is where I got into trouble. There is so much information there spread over 100 pages that it was daunting to sort thru. On top of that, once I found what I thought I was looking for I discovered I only had a vague idea of what I wanted.

In my example above someone suggested that Costal Scents was a great place to obtain Mica Pigment. Great! However, when I arrived on the site I was overwhelmed with makeup styles and options. So I search for Mica Pigment and come back with 'hot pots'. No idea what that is, and I am not ready to drop $100 for 100 colors only to find out it is eye shadow or lip liner or something else.

So I guess I am looking for some type of reference guide for newbies. I bought Casting Crafts resin, got it at Michaels and used a 40% coupon to get it. I mix Jacquard Pearl ex power with it, purchased in a 32 sample set from Amazon. Maybe someone who bought Alumilite can say where they got it, what dye they prefer, etc. I know internet links come and go so it is hard to maintain live links, but any information to help out the new guys is greatly welcome.

Thanks,
Joe

JimB

I think where you checked is the casting forum and that is why there are 100 pages of posts. Try looking at casting in the library where there are how to articles.

navyjoe

I think where you checked is the casting forum and that is why there are 100 pages of posts. Try looking at casting in the library where there are how to articles.

YES!!! Perfect! That was what I was looking for. Thank you to those that provided inputs as well. Once the casting craft stuff runs out I will swap over to the SILMAR 41 (with an eye on a pressure pot from Harbor Freight. Alumilite, I am looking at you...)

Top Bottom