Coating tube-in blanks with CA - and advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

Cast a few tube-in blanks now with stamps/labels etc with PR.
Have done CA sealer coats before casting and although the castings have come out well, the process of coating with Thin CA before is a nightmare!

Any tips/hints on the best way to coat these blanks without the tube filling with CA, or getting runs of CA etc down the blank or even coating yourself and everything around in CA!
Simply pouring CA on and flicking the excess away seems way to rudimental!!

Other than that I guess Mod-Podge coatings, but that doesn't seem to give such a thorough coating?

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
It has been a long while since I cast tubes in blanks, but I did it by adding a stopper in the tube a couple of times and then by having a mold with stoppers on the end on other times.

For you, it seems like stoppers might help. Check these out, search find the sizes you need:

https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Clev...id=1520687486&sr=8-9&keywords=rubber+stoppers

When I used them, they got coated with resin, and I also tried using stoppers on turned blanks when "dipping" a finish (dipping the turned blank into CA, lacquer or poly). There would be a coating on the stoppers but it would usually come off.

JohnU

I use medium ca. I've had issues with thin smearing the ink on the stamps. I've done it a couple ways. Cork the tubes with silicone plugs and wear Nitrile gloves and rub it on with my finger, or put the tube on the lathe with Felton bushings and turn slowly while applying med ca with a rolled up piece of paper towel. Some also use the clear plastic baggies the pen parts come in.

I get my plugs at Argon... http://www.argonusa.com/clear_silicone_plugs.php

The "CSP000XL" will fit Sierra and most all lower tubes in the jr and baron series.
The "CSP00R" will fit the upper jr's and lower tubes for gent and full size tubes.
The "CSPO" will fit the upper tubes for the full size kits.
My smaller plugs to fit 3/8" and smaller tubes came from mighthooks.com but I don't remember the size. I'm sure Argon has them to fit. You just have to find a taper to fit at the bottom and be larger than the tube at the top. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

philb

I use medium ca. I've had issues with thin smearing the ink on the stamps. I've done it a couple ways. Cork the tubes with silicone plugs and wear Nitrile gloves and rub it on with my finger, or put the tube on the lathe with Felton bushings and turn slowly while applying med ca with a rolled up piece of paper towel. Some also use the clear plastic baggies the pen parts come in.

I get my plugs at Argon... Argon Masking

The "CSP000XL" will fit Sierra and most all lower tubes in the jr and baron series.
The "CSP00R" will fit the upper jr's and lower tubes for gent and full size tubes.
My smaller plugs to fit 3/8" and smaller tubes came from mighthooks.com but I don't remember the size. I'm sure Argon has them to fit. You just have to find a taper to fit at the bottom and be larger than the tube at the top. Hope this helps.

Thanks very helpful.

Will give the Medium CA a go, as its thicker will probbaly only need one coat rather then two i was doing with thin!
It's just such a low the viscosity on the thin stuff, that its run off the other side of the blank before youve even noticed!!

philb

It has been a long while since I cast tubes in blanks, but I did it by adding a stopper in the tube a couple of times and then by having a mold with stoppers on the end on other times.

For you, it seems like stoppers might help. Check these out, search find the sizes you need:

https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Clev...id=1520687486&sr=8-9&keywords=rubber+stoppers

When I used them, they got coated with resin, and I also tried using stoppers on turned blanks when "dipping" a finish (dipping the turned blank into CA, lacquer or poly). There would be a coating on the stoppers but it would usually come off.

Thanks, looks like stoppers are the way! I don't mind CA finishes on pen barrels, but it's been a nightmare on tube castings!!

JohnU

Yes getting it inside the tube can create future cracking problems in assembly if you don't get it out. I usually end up gluing my fingers to the tube with thin. Lol. I think medium costs easier and doesn't penetrate the surface as quickly giving you time to work it. Also make sure to let it degas for a day or so or your resin can get cloudy. Once coat should be fine. It goes on pretty smoothly by hand. It just takes longer to cure. I put it on and walk away. Just don't use it under alumilite. They've been know not to work as well together.

Put a couple small nails in a board so you can stick the plugs on them, holding the tube up so you don't have to hold them or worry about dropping them while wiping the glue on. Then they are easily moved for curing time. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:

thewishman

You could give the plugs a good spray of mold release to prolong life and make clean up a bit easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I'd worry about where the plug and brass meet. Inserting the plug would cause a little build-up of release that might roll over onto the outside of the tube. The Argon plugs last quite a few batches before they need to be replaced.

More4dan

You could give the plugs a good spray of mold release to prolong life and make clean up a bit easier.

I'd worry about where the plug and brass meet. Inserting the plug would cause a little build-up of release that might roll over onto the outside of the tube. The Argon plugs last quite a few batches before they need to be replaced.

This is the recommendation for tube in casting. It should also work for simple plugs just let them dry before using.

Danny

Kenny Durrant

Woodcraft carries some plastic finishing bushings you can use. The C.A. won't stick to them and they will seal the tubes at the same time. Just slow down the lathe and apply. I now use Clear Elmers. I never could get Mod Podge to work for me so that's what I use.

thewishman

I get my plugs at Argon... Argon Masking

For the 3/8" tubes, I use the CSP104XL.

JohnU

Thanks Chris! I was just there looking at the sizes to see what would work. The slight difference in size can have a huge difference in price.

philb

Applying on the lathe like a normal CA finish seems to have put a really even coat on! And a lot smoother than by dribbling it on as previously tried.

Cheers guys!!

its_virgil

I do as John suggested. Plug both ends. Wear nitrile gloves. Apply CA and holding one of the plugs massage the CA over the tube with the other and using thumb and first two fingers. Set aside to cure for a day or so before casting. NO mold release and no mounting on the lathe.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

philb

I do as John suggested. Plug both ends. Wear nitrile gloves. Apply CA and holding one of the plugs massage the CA over the tube with the other and using thumb and first two fingers. Set aside to cure for a day or so before casting. NO mold release and no mounting on the lathe.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sounds good for when you don't want to get the lathe out, justbtrying to find the right size stoppers here in the UK to try it

Top Bottom