Coastal Scents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsjimenez

Coastal Scents has been discontinuing a lot of the colors that I use. Does anybody else have a manufacturer of mica pigments that are close to the ones sold by CS?

I spoke to a manger at Coastal scents and she was very rude and said their was no need for me to go into the story about what we use the mica pigments for. She said that our industry is very small for them to keep the colors. I myself need another supplier since I do not want to buy from them again.

Some of the discontinued items are:

Canary Yellow, Orchid Shimmer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Have you looked at PearlEx?
Pearl Ex offers beautiful colors, that can be purchased at most local hobby shops or by Internet, offer quite an array of colors and in the case of some colors, much more vibrant that the Coastal colors.

This circus NEVER stops because of one mad monkey. With each rude or ambivilant vendor that I have encountered, I've found 15 others willing to do it faster, better and cheaper.

PTsideshow

Jacquard Pearl-ex mica pigments

Is the proper name, they are the ones that are used for scrapbooking, clay work, etc. Any better arts supply stores will have something other than the sets. Blick's is one that has both the sets and bottles of each color along with numerous other pigments.

They were used in pin stripping and sign painting to give a kick to line work or letters. It was blown on to the wet paint. It could drive another painter crazy trying how to achieve the effect. If they didn't know the secret :wink:
:clown:

Jim Burr

Banned
I started with Pearl ex, having no better experience at the time. I just ordered some CS stuff due to the sale. Pearl ex seems a bit expensive, but have not one complaint...great colors!! After I get the CS...we'll do a comparison and see what happens. I really want to see if there is a difference. Tube painting is going to be essential!!

PenMan1

I started with Pearl ex, having no better experience at the time. I just ordered some CS stuff due to the sale. Pearl ex seems a bit expensive, but have not one complaint...great colors!! After I get the CS...we'll do a comparison and see what happens. I really want to see if there is a difference. Tube painting is going to be essential!!

The price of PearlEx is about twice that of Coastal Scents. BUT, IMHO the Pearl Ex colors have more "pop". In the end, we use a mixture of both. CS colors for the more muted effects along with a complimentary PearlEx color to add the "bling".

Dan26

If you search Etsy.com for pearlex you will find quite a few people that sell them. I haven't bought any yet, so I don't know if the prices are good.

Jim Burr

Banned
[/QUOTE]
The price of PearlEx is about twice that of Coastal Scents. BUT, IMHO the Pearl Ex colors have more "pop". In the end, we use a mixture of both. CS colors for the more muted effects along with a complimentary PearlEx color to add the "bling".[/QUOTE]

That is good to know Andy! I usually avoid painting tubes because it's a skill I haven't got down yet. It seems that some paint (spray cans) mixtures vary per batch! The result is I add a ton of powder:frown: and am able to avoid painting. That ended when I bought my last pack of Pearl ex on eBay.
Thank you sir!!

Buzzzz4

Just went shoppng there and stocked up. The only ones I notice going aware are the Paradise colors which there are decent alternatives to on their site. Are there any others that I'm not seeing?

rsjimenez

Just went shopping there and stocked up. The only ones I notice going aware are the Paradise colors which there are decent alternatives to on their site. Are there any others that I'm not seeing?

Yes, they have been getting rid of some that to me were very important for some colors that I produce all the time, but it is what it is.

I found another supplier that I will be ordering soon.

TKB Trading, Pigments, Dyes and Mica

PTsideshow

My order came in yesterday, I hate Fed ex as the wife was in the room with the front door, the fedex driver walked up and placed it on the porch a short time later it started to rain. Box was soaked goods where not damaged. Never a knock, never ring the door bell. I found the box on the porch when I turned the corner coming home.

Any ways so the assembled masses can see what the colors look like here they are.
WT092.jpg

navycop

My order came in yesterday, I hate Fed ex as the wife was in the room with the front door, the fedex driver walked up and placed it on the porch a short time later it started to rain. Box was soaked goods where not damaged. Never a knock, never ring the door bell. I found the box on the porch when I turned the corner coming home.

Any ways so the assembled masses can see what the colors look like here they are.
How many ozs are the green glitters? The bottles don't look as full.

PTsideshow

The bottles are all the one ouncers, As with a lot of powder material that settle in shipping. The volume is larger when it is filled with some of the earth powders and chemicals. The lighter fluffier materials tend to compact more, than denser materials.

The glitters are what looks like and from the MSDS a polyester film with the coloring. They are a square cut shape, but large enough to separate individually. The other powders are a synthetic mica, with the coloring agents and ground to a very small micron size.

Most jars are only 3/4 full to a little more, the material and static charges coat the insides of the bottles some thicker than others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom