Clear Casting Issue - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I agree!! Alumilite is very user friendly but definitely not as clear as PR. Liquid Diamonds on the other hand is less fickle and incredibly clear! Setting time is longer than polyurethane but not nearly as long as PR. The only problem is the price tag. Where do you guys buy it from??

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Dr Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Kenny....question...after you apply the label with Clear Elmerís, do you paint more on the external surface of the label??.....AND on the seal portion? Iíve found that if you get ever so little adhesive on the blank adjacent to the label, the PR will react with it to produce a haze or discoloration. You must be very, very careful in applying the adhesive.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Robert View Post
I agree!! Alumilite is very user friendly but definitely not as clear as PR. Liquid Diamonds on the other hand is less fickle and incredibly clear! Setting time is longer than polyurethane but not nearly as long as PR. The only problem is the price tag. Where do you guys buy it from??

Statement not true. Liquid Diamonds is the longest setting time of any of those. Buy it from a vendor here Chad Schimmel at Turners Warehouse. Check vendors forums. He runs sales now and then. Depending on what you are doing price does not come into play. The more pens you do you will soon find this out.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

When you use Silmar 41, how many drops catalyst per ounce resin do you use? How do you warm the resin? I would think the more catalyst the faster the set. Contacting the manufacturer they recommended 10 drops per ounce. I found complete polymerization takes 2-3 days!

Old 04-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 40

Quote:
When you use Silmar 41, how many drops catalyst per ounce resin do you use? How do you warm the resin? I would think the more catalyst the faster the set. Contacting the manufacturer they recommended 10 drops per ounce. I found complete polymerization takes 2-3 days!

That may also be your problem. 10 drops is recommended by the manufacturer. But that is when the resin is used for a thin clear coat. I use 4 drops per ounce for casting pen blanks. Hope this helps.

Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thanx so much....Iíll give it try..4 drops it is.....two last questions.....typically how long does your polymerization take using 4 drops?? And do you warm the Silmar and if so how?? Dr Bob

Old 04-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:

I too use 3 to 4 drops per ounce. If you are using 10 drops per ounce you are making the casting very brittle and will be hard to turn and become chippy. This is all that is needed for casting as we do. To heat the resin I place the resin in my toaster oven for about 15 minutes at 125 to 150 degrees. When I add catalyst I try not to stir too vigorously. When I pour in mold I try to let resin pour against sides of mold or use stir stick to prevent resin from splashing and causing bubbles. Anything you can do to help eliminate bubbles will help your final outcome. I also always use a pressure pot for Silmar and liquid diamonds. Silmar will start to set in about an hour or less. LD about 12 hours or more.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanx so much....I’ll give it try..4 drops it is.....two last questions.....typically how long does your polymerization take using 4 drops?? And do you warm the Silmar and if so how?? Dr Bob

I put my silmar in a water bath for about 20 minutes. I'm guessing the water is about 100 to 110. I like the resin to be about 85 to 90. When doing color mixes, I pour at about 12 minutes. Different colors will vary the set up time, but generally, mine will start to set about 15
minutes after mixing the catalyst. But for clear casts, I mix the catalyst, let the bubbles come to the top (about a minute or two), then pour.

Last edited by BSea; 04-17-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Awesome guys!! Really appreciate the input... I would think the warm resin will speed up the setting time and also increase fluidity and reduce bubbles!?......yes????

Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Awesome guys!! Really appreciate the input... I would think the warm resin will speed up the setting time and also increase fluidity and reduce bubbles!?......yes????

Warming will definitely speed up the set time. I can't swear that it reduces bubbles. To be honest, I really don't notice the resin being more fluid, but it probably is. However, over 95% of my casting experience is color casting. I've done some tube on casting, and have had very few issues, and non like you describe.

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads