Cleaning a pressure pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doddman70

I guess I have been pretty lucky in that I have never had a spill inside my pressure pot, well that record has been broken LOL. I managed to spill about 6 oz worth of alumilite in the pot. Anybody have a better suggestion for cleaning it out other than soaking some acetone in it for awhile?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

if you spill enough, it self levels and provides a new working surface in the bottom of the pot!....so I have heard :wink:

ElMostro

You should be able to just pry it out (depends on the finish of the inside of the tank). Use a thin blade like an exacto knife to get under the edge and then use a small screwdriver to pry it off...you can also use a high pressure blast to get it to lift BUT be careful bec it may fly up suddenly (DAMHIKT)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Mix up an additional amount of Alumilite and pour it in! As Jon says, it will create a flat bottom for your pot. I actually did that intentionally to both of my Binks pots to get rid of the rounded bottom.

doddman70

Ok so i get it now, I did not spill any I just did not mix up enough to fill in the bottom of the tank to get a flat bottom to work with!! Glad to know i was not being sloppy!

ElMostro

Pouring more in the pot to make the bottom surface flat works but have in mind that IF another mold leaks in there the alumilite will stick to the stuff that is already in the pot and the alumilite to alumilite bond is stronger than the alumilite to pot bond so you may end up pulling the whole thing out or with an alumilite bottom that has some additional bumps...of course to level it off again you can pour more alumilite and after doing that several times you'll end up with a blank around 9" round x 8" tall...that'll make a heck of a blank for a closed vessel ;)

doddman70

LOL that would make one heck of a bowl blank if you could actually get it out! I actually would like to clean out the bottom but so far trying to pry or chip out the spill is not working very well so that is why i was thinking about trying to soak it in acetone but not sure if that would work either.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have a solution to the sticking resin with an Alumilite bottom...spray the bottom with mold release. Believe it or not, I thought ahead when I did mine.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
If you hit the edge of the alumilite with a spring actuated center punch it should knock the entire chunk loose, just don't hit the metal to hard. I also use this method to remove spills on my benches.

ElMostro

If you need more grip on the alumilite chunk you can drill a SHALLOW 1/16" hole on the thicker side of the blob and screw a drywall screw in the hole just enough to grip the blob and that will give you a bit more leverage.

LOL that would make one heck of a bowl blank if you could actually get it out! I actually would like to clean out the bottom but so far trying to pry or chip out the spill is not working very well so that is why i was thinking about trying to soak it in acetone but not sure if that would work either.

Top Bottom