cigar casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Here's one I did a wile back. Used real tobacco leaves wrapped around the tubes and cast. It was challenging took a few trys but turned out pretty good.

CigarPen2a.jpg

CigarPen1a.jpg

SDB777

Bruce,

Did you glue the leaf down, and then ModPodge it? Or trade secret....no-can-tell:biggrin:
I'm still working on my stamp pen casting.....

Scott

bruce119

Bruce,

Did you glue the leaf down, and then ModPodge it? Or trade secret....no-can-tell:biggrin:
I'm still working on my stamp pen casting.....
Scott

When I did this I used real tobacco leaves form a cigar shop. I live near Tampa so cigar rolling shops are everywhere. It took several attempts if I was to do it again I would probably paint the tube a light brown use Mod Podge to glue the leaf down. Now the tobacco leaf presents special difficulties as it is wet if you let it dry it will be brittle and crumble. So I would glue the leaf on set it aside for a week let it dry out. Then give it a coat or 2 of medium/thick CA let that dry another 2 days then cast with P.R. Now this is all speculation I don't plan on doing it again but if I was that is how I would start. Now with stamps that's pretty easy I would glue them down with Mod Podge let dry then put on the lathe give 2 coats of CA to seal it then cast with PR. The coat of CA seals the paper so you don't get the P.R. soaking in and getting that dark transparent wet look.

Hope I gave you guys some tips you can use. No real trade secret just takes time and patients and a little understanding which comes from trial and error $$$.

Grenger

Here's one I did a wile back. Used real tobacco leaves wrapped around the tubes and cast. It was challenging took a few trys but turned out pretty good.

CigarPen2a.jpg

CigarPen1a.jpg

did you put ca glue before casting... i did a a few cigar leaves with no CA and they turn white... I am told that maybee they were not dried enought.

will try to make sure they are dried (oven low temp) and put CA glue on it before casting

Attachments

• 2017-01-29 10.17.45.jpg
    2017-01-29 10.17.45.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 253

Flush1974

Thanks for posting!!!... I have often thought about this project too. My first instincts were to stabilize a cigar, but then I thought what makes a cigar look like a cigar? It's the outer wrapping leaf, so if you turn it, you will lose the leaf. So the next logical step is to unwrap a cigar and do what Bruce did.

Well done Sir.

Last edited:

Grenger

Thanks for posting!!!... I have often thought about this project too. My first instincts were to stabilize a cigar, but then I thought what makes a cigar look like a cigar? It's the outer wrapping leaf, so if you turn it, you will lose the leaf. So the next logical step is to unwrap a cigar and do what Bruce did.

Well done Sir.

check this video... i tried it with not much success. i think its because the leaves were still damp. (see picture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsbzhmCM4CA

so my next step is to make sure the leaves dried out then apply a thin coat of pudge and then thin coat of CA on it before casting

here is what they look like....

Attachments

• 2017-01-29 10.17.45.jpg
    2017-01-29 10.17.45.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 186

mecompco

I would think the biggest challenge would be getting a dried leaf wrapped around the tube. When absolutely dry, they are very brittle. Of course, if they are still moist, that is a problem as well. Perhaps if they were glued on while still a bit moist, then allowed to dry prior to casting?

Grenger

Yup, doing an other test.
1 glue the humid leaves on tube with pudge
2 let drye (oven low temp)
3 thin coat of podge to seal.
4 drye (oven low temp)
5 thin coat of ca glue
6 drye for 1 day
7 cast
8 pray...

Last edited:

Grenger

Yup, doing an other test.
1 glue the humid leaves on tube with pudge
2 let drye (oven low temp)
3 thin coat of podge to seal.
4 drye (oven low temp)
5 thin coat of ca glue
6 dry for 1 day
7 cast
8 pray...
9 turn

here is the result... came out not bad except white spot at end of tube. Anyboy have any idea why

Any idea why

Attachments

• cigar blanc.jpg
    cigar blanc.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

swcrawford

Were the white spots there when you took the tube out of the mold? How did you square the blank to the tube (with a pen mill or sanding)?

To me that looks like the resin de-laminated from the leaf during turning or trimming. If I were trying this project I might do the steps you did to cast the leaf, then:

1. Make up a jig to square the ends of the blank to the tube by sanding, not with a pen mill. The mill teeth may grab the leaf and cause the de-lamination which may not be readily apparent until after you turn to shape. I use a sanding jig on the lathe made by member Rick Herrell (rherrell) and it works great. I square all my blanks this way now. (By the way, he is offering 20% off all his products now during the birthday bash.)

Also, make sure you square the resin back all the way to the tube. Really important. Whenever I get in a hurry and neglect to do that, the inward pressure from the bushings can cause exactly what I see in your picture.

2. After squaring the blank to the tube, put a little bit of thin CA at the end of the tube/resin junction. It should wick into the joint there and give a little insurance against de-lamination when turning. I do this whenever I cast something thin wrapped around a tube to keep this from happening and also to keep water/sanding slurry out of the blank since I like to wet sand resin blanks. Just the tiniest bit, let it cure, and then re-sand the end to smooth it out.

Give it another go. I think you are really close to a complete success.

Grenger

Were the white spots there when you took the tube out of the mold? How did you square the blank to the tube (with a pen mill or sanding)?

To me that looks like the resin de-laminated from the leaf during turning or trimming. If I were trying this project I might do the steps you did to cast the leaf, then:

1. Make up a jig to square the ends of the blank to the tube by sanding, not with a pen mill. The mill teeth may grab the leaf and cause the de-lamination which may not be readily apparent until after you turn to shape. I use a sanding jig on the lathe made by member Rick Herrell (rherrell) and it works great. I square all my blanks this way now. (By the way, he is offering 20% off all his products now during the birthday bash.)

Also, make sure you square the resin back all the way to the tube. Really important. Whenever I get in a hurry and neglect to do that, the inward pressure from the bushings can cause exactly what I see in your picture.

2. After squaring the blank to the tube, put a little bit of thin CA at the end of the tube/resin junction. It should wick into the joint there and give a little insurance against de-lamination when turning. I do this whenever I cast something thin wrapped around a tube to keep this from happening and also to keep water/sanding slurry out of the blank since I like to wet sand resin blanks. Just the tiniest bit, let it cure, and then re-sand the end to smooth it out.

Give it another go. I think you are really close to a complete success.

thanks...i think you 'nailed it'. the white appeared after turning. I did use the barrel trimmer. i will try as you suggested.

what do you think about putting the tube in the oven at very low temperature so that the glued (podge) leaves drye

Last edited:

swcrawford

Drying in an oven at really low temp shouldn't cause any problem. Just let it cool before casting. I never do. I've just learned to be patient and come back to a project later. Getting in a hurry has caused me more problems than just about anything else.

JohnU

Another tip would be to apply some thin ca to each sanded or milled end before turning. It will help seal the ends around the tube, especially for sanding, and if you use micro mesh and water. I do this will every material I turn, especially snake skins and feathers. I've had water and sanding debri get inside the ends.

Top Bottom