Christmas Wish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

seht

Hello,

So instead of digging through old post and trying to piece together what other people use as I'm sure it varies from person to person just as the responses here will. I'm going to be lazy and ask the question here any how.

So I'm thinking about learning to cast my own blanks.
If I was to create a wish list of what I needed to do this, what would be on my list?

I'm probably in the $200.00 price range, we are limiting presents this year for everyone but the kid. He still rakes it in.

What do I absolutely need?

What would be nice to have?

Thanks

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Scott,

IMO, all you really need is a pressure pot with compressor, molds, and some resin. You can get a pressure pot from Harbor Freight for $40 if you watch for a sale and you can make your molds out of many different items. I cut up the plastic cutting boards and screw them together to make whatever size mold I need. For resin, I prefer Alumilite Clear but most use Polyester Resin. Alumilite is more expensive but it is a 2 part system that does not require counting drops or adjusting based on wether or not the planets are aligned :). It is also less brittle and cures in 15 miutes or so and does not smell up your shop. You will also need some dyes, pigments, or other fillers to get the colors you are looking for.

Other than that, you really don't need anything else.

Fangar

Scott,

I have just started into the area of pressure casting myself. Both Don (Its_Virgil) and Curtis (MesquiteMan) are well versed in the field. I got the HF pot and am cery happy with it. I got some pointers from Don and ditched the stock parts for a more simple feed. On Curtis' recommendation, I picked up some of the Alumilite and am very happy with the results. No smell at all. I have used PR and while it served its purpose, I just could not get a consistent product based on the varying weather issues etc. The small 16oz starter sample is about $13.00 and well worth the time to look into.

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by seht
<br />great, thanks.
what are you guys using for your colors/pigments etc?

So far I have not used any dyes as I am working with the water clear for its clarity. I cast some more stoppers tonight with good results. Still working to perfect my method.

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom