Cheap source for HDPE sheets, maybe???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

For molds I know you can use HDPE cutting boards or buy sheets from Amazon or Ebay, but the cutting boards have a rough finish that can cause demolding issues and sheets can be expensive if you are just fooling around.

Anyone ever try or see this. Looks promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_XUJwINdLw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

my thought is to go straight to the mold, no sheets screwed together.

The dotted part is the HDPE I also made the sides of the parts that make recesses slightly slanted to help the resin pop out.

Attachments

• mold.jpg
    mold.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

eharri446

Cliff, try Grainger if there is a store near you. I bought a 12X12 HDPE block 1 1/2" thick for around $35.00 and was able to pick it up at the store 2.5 miles from my house.

dogcatcher

I have done the saving the recyclable stuff, made the sheets and molds etc.. In the long run, I don't think you save that much when you figure in the time spent.

I bought some of the silicone mold making resin and made real custom molds. I used some 1/2" and 3/4" PVC pipe as my masters for the making the mold. I plugged both ends sprayed with mold release. I made a box out of HF cutting boards mounted the pipe in it and poured silicone mold resin in it. Let it cure and pop out the pipe.

The finished blanks fit in my collet chuck for ease in drilling, there are no square corners to turn off and trash, and I make them close to the lengths that I use. The drilling saves me time, the round blanks and correct lengths saves on resin, all are "money" factors.

Tim'sTurnings

I bought one at a Walmart store a few years ago. They have HDPE cutting boards and the prices, if I remember correctly, aren't bad at all. I haven't used any in a long time but when I did I got my second one from a Walmart. Good luck on your search.
Tim.

chartle

Cliff, try Grainger if there is a store near you. I bought a 12X12 HDPE block 1 1/2" thick for around $35.00 and was able to pick it up at the store 2.5 miles from my house.

But thats resin buying money. :biggrin: I kind of have a self imposed budget on what I buy.

chartle

I bought one at a Walmart store a few years ago. They have HDPE cutting boards and the prices, if I remember correctly, aren't bad at all. I haven't used any in a long time but when I did I got my second one from a Walmart. Good luck on your search.
Tim.

Yes the best price is Sams Club for about a 20" by 30" for maybe $15. It has a textured surface and I'm trying to get away from screwed together boxes.

chartle

Update

Complete success.

Over the past week or so I collected HDPE number 2 bottles and as I was watching TV I just kept cutting the bottles into smaller smaller pieces. Note double check the recycle number, I found a few bottles that looked like HDPE but were poly polypropylene number 5 more on this later.

My first mold I filled up my small loaf pan lined with parchment paper with the multicolored pieces and baked it at 350 to 400 until its sort of looked "plasticy" aka the plastic looked melted in texture. I then added more as it also collapsed as it melted. They never became truly liquid more like bubble gum so I had to push down on the mass with a block covered in more Parchment paper.

After an hour or so I took it out and clamped the block on top.

For the black I used another approach. I had read that HDPE for bottles is formulated differently than HDPE thats injection molded because bottles are blow molded. So the injection formulation will melt to a more liquid state.

At work I get long rolls of vinyl in boxes with black HDPE plastic ends that support the rolls in the box and I have pounds of them. They are injection molded so I made one mold with just that plastic.

For this one I didn't cut it up so much and I layered the plastic in batches letting each layer mostly melt before adding the next which helped with any bubbles and I think sped up the melting. I didn't have to clamp it after it came out of the toaster oven and as each layer melted it was much more fluid and almost all the bubbles floated to the top where I could easily pop them.

After both of them were cool I then carefully trimmed them on my table saw. Be careful they are slippery buggers.

Now as for the poly polypropylene number 5. It melted just as the HDPE did and I got a nice block of red from a few cat litter buckets. The problem was it doesn't cut as nicely as the HDPE I think its has a lower melting point and it gummed up on the table saw.

As for smell there was nothing except the smell of what ever was in the bottles. No mater how much I washed them out I still smelled the gel dish washing and shampoo and the fragrance from the kitty litter.

So now have more than enough material to mill into a special tube in slimline mold I'm making. Also material for other jigs or non stick bushings.

Next time I may try to mold my recesses into the plastic so I don't have to cut them out of a block.

This video is the one I got most of my info from. Beware after watching these videos you maybe tempted to try to make a HDPE blank. I wish resin could be moved around like what he does. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4zRTDQukRM&t=181s

Attachments

• hdpe1.jpg
    hdpe1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 196
  • hdpe2.jpg
    hdpe2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 179
  • hpde3.jpg
    hpde3.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 210
  • hdpe4.jpg
    hdpe4.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 215
  • hdpe5.jpg
    hdpe5.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

chartle

I guess one could melt down a cutting board to make molds instead of plastic bottles. :wink:

I guess if you want a sheet thicker than a standard cutting board. :confused:

When I first posted my plan was to make sheets but now I'm making blocks for molds and other things like jigs.

These blocks are over 1" thick and I'm going to use them to make a one piece mold. Well really a block with two removable ends since this blank has a mandrel running through it.

Last edited:

chartle

Here is my latest block I think I have enough big stock for jigs and stuff for awhile. :wink:

Attachments

• big block.jpg
    big block.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 179

Beautys_Beast

LDPE will work much the same way as HDPE, it just isn't quite as hard. Hard enough however to make molds out of.

You can buy POUNDS of it, cheap...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-kg-Plast...168540?hash=item3d01cc421c:g:tU8AAOSwLmVXD3uS

This is what I use. It is form-able just like HDPE, toaster oven, cookie sheet, and a board of Melamine clamped to the top when it's cooling. I use it for runners for the saws, making jigs, and now making molds. Works great.

BeeAMaker

It boils down to what your time is worth to you. I know a few people that do this same type of thing for making their own 3D printer filament. However, the time it takes to make your own filament is not worth the $15 for a 2# spool. I think they spend more time making the filament than they do printing. But that is what they enjoy doing.

Keep in mind that when you recycle like this, each time you melt the plastic you loose some of it's chemical makeup in evaporation. If you are only doing it once, you will be fine but after the 2nd or 3rd time the HDPE is no longer HDPE and probably will crumble apart when cooled. The guys that recycle ABS filament say they can do it once. After that the ABS won't hold together properly and will result in very crappy prints. I have no clue how well HDPE will recycle.

In any case, you might enjoy this video.
https://youtu.be/-zqp_zA6m-w

And here is a commercial version
http://plasticbottleandcancutter.com/products/

Last edited:
Top Bottom