International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Casting watch parts

It's in my future to try casting watch parts. Can someone explain the process a little. What kind of paint do you use on the tubes to make sure it doesn't run or come off during casting? Also, what do you use to bend the parts around the tube? Any other info would be helpful. I'm just getting into the casting vortex and I think the watch pens are awesome. What are some of the Do's and Dont's in making these things? Thanks for the info and help.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

T: I've only done 6 successful ones, so others with much more experience may be able to shed more light.
I use no name spray lacquer on the tubes. I've never had it run. As for bending the parts, I simply drill out a small block of wood with a bit one size smaller than diameter of tube that I'm gluing the parts to. Then, I cut the block down its length, giving me two bending jigs. I just place the gear or whatever over the jig and use a transfer punch to push/bend it into the bore in the block. (I go with a bit one size small because I found that there is some bounce back on the pieces.) It took longer to type this than to perform the whole operations.
I've used both 5 minute epoxy and gel CA glue to glue the pieces onto the tubes. With epoxy, I coat a section of the tube, then push the pieces into it. It's messy, but as long as you use clear drying epoxy, it disappears when you cast the blank. With CA, I just put a small drop on the piece, and hold it onto the tube for the seconds it takes to set. This works well, but gluing your fingers to the piece is a real possibility, since the glue comes up through the openings in the gears. After doing that a couple of times, I went with a pick to hold the pieces in place.
Then, it's just putting the tube into a mold, casting it and turning it to the final size. On some pens where the thickness of the resin between the tube and the final size is small, you need to be very careful not to turn into the brass. After I blew up a couple, I made a point of not putting parts at the very end of the tubes. This way, I can taper down to the final dimension without worrying about turning gears.
I'm sure others have other ways of doing these, and you will be able to choose among them.
gwilki is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. That gives me some ideas. Any more??????????
Advertisement
Old 02-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 18

That sounds like fun. Where can you get a bunch of surplus watch parts?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Group Buy Coordinator

Photos: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatRider View Post
That sounds like fun. Where can you get a bunch of surplus watch parts?
eBay, Hobby Lobby.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 15

I use fingernail polish for the base coat, bend the pen parts around a dowel until they have a good curvature, and a local bead supply store sells gears by the tubefull.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I used CA today and there is a white ring around all the glue spots. I have not even cast it yet, it showed up as the glue dried. Any ideas?
Autonoz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Did you use accelerator? If so - don't. If you didn't, I have no idea what caused it. Accelerator will cause it every time if you use too much.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilki View Post
Did you use accelerator? If so - don't. If you didn't, I have no idea what caused it. Accelerator will cause it every time if you use too much.
That's true too much accelerator can cause. But it will happen without useing accelerator. Just useing too much CA can do it and if your working in a humand enviroment that can do it. There are sooooooo many varables.

One thing to try is too scrap off (if you can with out chipping the paint you did powder coat didn't you) the white powdery stuff.

It's a lot of fun

Good Luck
Bruce

THE MAD RESIN MIXER
bruce119 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

No accelerator butprobably to thick of glue. I used testors paint and will probably try painting over the white rings.
Autonoz is offline   Reply With Quote Top