Casting in a Vacuum - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Not anything I have tried, but five lifetimes ago when I worked in the large electric motor industry we used a process call VPI or Vacuum Pressure Impregnation. As I recall, we placed the wound static in the tank, drew a vacuum, held it until it was steady, introduced the resin still under vacuum, let it set for period of time, the introduced pressure and held it for a period of time to get void free epoxy across the entire assembly. Keep in mind the were 6 foot and 10 foot tanks, but the use of both vacuum and pressure were key. Of course it was a proprietary resin formula, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDucks2 View Post
Not anything I have tried, but five lifetimes ago when I worked in the large electric motor industry we used a process call VPI or Vacuum Pressure Impregnation. As I recall, we placed the wound static in the tank, drew a vacuum, held it until it was steady, introduced the resin still under vacuum, let it set for period of time, the introduced pressure and held it for a period of time to get void free epoxy across the entire assembly. Keep in mind the were 6 foot and 10 foot tanks, but the use of both vacuum and pressure were key. Of course it was a proprietary resin formula, also.

This is exactly how I've stabilized pine cones and gum pods. While the occasional void still occurs, it's nothing like the problems it sounds like you've been having. Another little tip - instead of loading the pine cones in your mold then pouring the resin, dip the cones in the resin with tweezers while it's still in the cups and move them around a bit to fill the voids, then fill the mold with them and pour the rest of the resin over them.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default So it is possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDucks2 View Post

Thanks for the reply MrDucks. That is the exact process I would like to replicate. I have started building my vacuum vessels that would be used to cast the resin. Once cast, it would go into my normal pressure pot to cure.

TattooedTurner, I have tried the dipping solution and it does prevent 80% of the voids, but I am lazy and do not like getting resin everywhere (inevitably), therefore looking for an easier, faster, foolproof method.
Houtkop is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads