Casting and Stabilization in Aus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dai Sensei

Last weekend I ran a casting and stabilization demo day. The day covered casting molds, the different types and how to make them; casting mixed PR blanks; casting seed pods etc in resin under pressure; stabilizing blanks with Cactus Juice; and other questions. We filmed the day and the U-tube video links are below.

Day 1
Day1 #1 Stabilising Vacuum - YouTube
Day 1 #2 Molds & Making - YouTube My apologies to Fred Wissen, I forgot your name in the video, when referring to your blue molds :frown:

Day 1 #3 Casting various - YouTube
Day 1 #4 Casting tubes Mixed colors - YouTube

Then there are the products, clockwise from top left - silicon molds, 10" long copper braid blank, sheoak seed pod slab with watch part blank below, cholla cactus full blanks in yellow (and some copper as I ran short), pepper grinder blank (I'll have to turn it to see the timber :rolleyes:), flouro green short blanks (pine cone/banksia/cholla - blanks were longer than mold), small flouro green cedar pod slab, dead finish bark blanks (cast in ancient copper and stabilised), flouro orange cedar pod blanks (cast and stabilised).

1_casting_day_results.jpg

The sheoak seed pod slab cut into blanks, and the flouro green cedar seed pod slab cut into blanks (yes they are that bright :biggrin:)
1_casting_day_blanks.jpg

The Day 2
Casting a Pen Blank Slab - YouTube

And the results
1_cast_flouro.jpg

Some of these have been turned into pens here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/casting-stabilising-demo-day-aus-pens-100050/

Cheers

Top Bottom