Casting Snake Skin Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robertkulp

What kind of prep is needed to snake skin to cast it in PR? Is just clean and dry sufficient, or does it need to be tanned. If being tanned isn't needed, does it cause problems if it is already tanned?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I've done both. Usually the tanned skins have better color. Either way, I clean them in a degreaser to get rid of oils and things left on the skins, and rinse very well in water and let dry for a couple days. Just prepare yourself for the dreaded silver skin. Sometimes you lose a few for unknown reasons, even when your process is the same on all casts, so don't use your best skins first. Learn your process on lesser skins. There are lots of conversations here if you search snakeskin casting, with lots of good info. Good luck!

its_virgil

The tanning process is important. I have cast skins I did not tan or i did not know the tanning chemicals and as soon as the polyresin hjt the skin then all went black.
Thanks for the tips. I've tried to do my home

I always scrap off the scale covers so no air can be trapped under them. Cleaning the skins is important as John mentioned.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom