Casting questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twehr

I normally stabilize my burl blanks, just to ensure they hold together when turning. The ones I have always done are full sized blanks, 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 inch. I am happy with everything about the results I get.

I now have a larger piece of burl, 2 3/4 x 2 3/4 x 7 1/4. It is natural edge and is a great candidate for casting with Alumilite. Since I am new to the casting side, I have a few questions:

My main options:
1. Cut into 9 blanks, 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 and have a leftover piece 2 3/4 x 2 3/4 x 2 1/4. The 9 blanks can then be cast individually and the leftover piece would be cast for some other project.

2. Cast the entire blank with Alumilite, and then cut into blanks as described above (9 pens and 1 extra block).

I am up of opinions on which or other suggestions if you have them.

Additionally, I want to make sure I am not missing something here; is there any need to stabilize before casting? I would think not, side it would make for poor transitions between the cast Alumilite and the wood.

Here is the piece I am working with.

bb515117e66e6a0f3b9c746e0ba090a7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Tim'sTurnings

If it was mine I would cut them into pen sized blanks and then cast. I would worry about the casting resin getting into the blank sufficiently if cast as a whole piece. This is just what I would do. Others probably have differing opinions. YMMV.
Tim.

twehr

If it was mine I would cut them into pen sized blanks and then cast. I would worry about the casting resin getting into the blank sufficiently if cast as a whole piece. This is just what I would do. Others probably have differing opinions. YMMV.
Tim.

Guess no one else has an opinion, so yours become consensus by default. Appreciate your taking the time to respond. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Besides, anyone with the name Tim must be right. Right?

(I am also a Tim)

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom