Casting question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kkoscielski

Hi.... my Alumilite Clear (slow) arrives tomorrow and I am spinning in my boots to perform my first cast!!! Here is my question. I live in El Paso, Tx. And work out of my garage. With the heat that we have here in El Paso what precausions can I take (other than speed up LOL) to get the best chance for success?

I have a second question. My HF pot does have a small leak. I can put 50PSI in the pot and it will leak to about 41PSI and then sit there solid for 4-5 hours. Like I said not bad but when troubleshooting the leak, by the time I can submurge the pot in water I am at 41PSI and no leak. Very frustratingly Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

My concern wouldn't be the heat but the humidity. Any moisture in a blank will cause Alumilite to bubble. If you don't think the blanks are dry I put then in the oven for an hour. If they're dry put them in the mold and warm both up in the oven for 20-30 min. As far as loosing pressure it would worry me loosing any while the blanks are curing. I leave my Alumilite blanks in the pot for 2 hours. If the leak is small enough so the compressor doesn't continually run leave it hooked up until you fix the leak.

PatrickR

Hi.... my Alumilite Clear (slow) arrives tomorrow and I am spinning in my boots to perform my first cast!!! Here is my question. I live in El Paso, Tx. And work out of my garage. With the heat that we have here in El Paso what precausions can I take (other than speed up LOL) to get the best chance for success?

I have a second question. My HF pot does have a small leak. I can put 50PSI in the pot and it will leak to about 41PSI and then sit there solid for 4-5 hours. Like I said not bad but when troubleshooting the leak, by the time I can submurge the pot in water I am at 41PSI and no leak. Very frustratingly Any ideas?

No need to submerge, a spray bottle with soapy water will let you know where the air is coming out.

JohnU

I would want to find and fix the leak issue but you only need about 2 hours of pressure pot time with alumilite so you should be fine.

You'll be fine at 41 psi. It never hurts to find the source of the leak though. My HF pot did the same thing - and I knew it wasn't the relief valve or fittings after testing with soapy water - so I made a "wrench" from a 2" dowel to crank the bolts an extra half turn and that solved the problem.

Top Bottom