Casting problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texasbeachbum

I am trying to cast some poly resin for slimline pens. I am having problems getting the poly from cracking and getting glare spots around the decals. I make the decals on my computer and seal with a clear coat. Then paint the tubes white so the decal looks right. I let all this dry for 2 days. Then I cast in PVC tubes. Now I am getting cracks in the poly too. I have some bubbles but not that many. Most of them turn out. I use 3 drops of hardner for each oz of poly. Should I cut the hardner to 2 drops? I live in Galveston so I do have lots of moisture in the air 1/4 mile from the Gulf Of Mexico. Temps have been in the 60"s to 70's while I was casting. I hope this is enough info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrplace

Does not have anything to do with the "click". I read your post and know what your doing, but it is different from what the majority are doing. So if no one else is doing it, they can not relay any useful information.

If I had to guess, I would say your clear coat or paint is reacting with the resin. Cast one on a plain tube and see if the same thing happens.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cracking is usually a heat thing. But, at 80 degrees, 3 drops should not be causing heat fractures. I agree with above. Try eliminating the pictures, see if the problem happens with just tubes, if not, perhaps change glue??

Oh, and its "clique" - I know cause I've always been outside them looking in. I find the sunshine more appealing.[:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom