Casting PMMA/Perspex tubes in PR - any pitfalls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chainmaker

Hi Folks,

Getting ready to order up my bits & bobs for casting and i have a question..

Having seen the moulds that allow PR to be cast around tubes and other techniques to facilitate this my question is this...

Is it possible to encase PMMA/perspex tubes in PR resin or am i likely to have issues?

Before you ask this would not be for a pen blank but for another side project.

My concern it that the PR resin and MEKP might react with the tube and cause it to sag/melt/distort/craze or frost.

Hopefully someone can help :)

Stay safe, stay well, dream well

G

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Perspex is a brand name overseas for acrylic rather than Lexan (brand name for polycarbonate). Think Plexiglas (another brand name). I would almost guarantee that the solvents in PR would cause the Perspex to craze at minimum. If you look at acrylic wrong it will craze! The heat during the PR cure would most likely also make it craze.

Last edited:

Chainmaker

Thanks for the replies folks.

I may try it anyway as it could well be hidden by the PR.

Are there any clear rigid plastics that could be used without issue such as polycarbonate?

I have included a link to the PMMA wiki

This confirms that PMMA is also known as:

ACRYLITE®
Lucite
Plexiglas
Optix (Plaskolite)
Perspex
Oroglas
Altuglas

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. If you can clear over clear, you get clear. Although crazing would be a better effect.

You can paint the tube and cast it and the final effect is a blank that mostly is the color of the tube except at an angle that reveals some clear.

Chainmaker

Hi Steve,

the reason i am looking to embed the clear plastic tube is to provide stability for the end result.

The blanks will be machined and cut down into smaller items ranging from 20-60mm on average.

The embedded tube would only be visible at the ends although these would be polished.

While i anticipate most of the castings i do will be opaque i would to do some that are partially opaque.

Polycarbonate tube does not seem to be easily available (based on some quick initial searches) but PMMA tubes are.

Think i might just have to give it a go and see what happens

Top Bottom