Casting Pine Cones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jking

Is it possible to cast pine cones without a pressure pot? I would like to experiment with this, but, don't want to waste my time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have cast a lot of pine cones and would have to say that any attempt to do so without a pressure pot would be a waste of materials.
This is just my opinion and what I have seen from attempts I have made. It is always worth trying something for yourself and proving me wrong.

Last edited:

Jgrden

Yes. But I don't cast. I go au nautural. The first pens were made of mature, dry pine cones. It was a big problem finding a thick enough core to make the pen work. When done, though, it was beautiful. I just took four young pods that are still green and not yet blossemed. I am going to see if they offer a center large enough to make a pen. they are drying now. Make the house smell nice. They haven't made it to the work shop.

papaturner

I do the same as John, I use longleaf pine cones. Personlly I like them better than the cast ones.jmho:wink:

Attachments

• cigar.JPG
    cigar.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,159
  • gatsby.JPG
    gatsby.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 934

Jgrden

I do the same as John, I use longleaf pine cones. Personlly I like them better than the cast ones.jmho:wink:
So That is where those pines cones are. I have been looking from California to Texas for a worthwhile cone. Now I need to travel to Georgia. Thank you for the info. Your pens are beautiful. Much better than what I am able to accomplish. Mine are allot darker than yours. I like the light color of yours. I am in envy.

maxman400

I have turned a few of them just using CA to stabilize them, Like this one on this slimline. I have used pine cones on Sierras and Guardians and most of them has been cones that have not opened up yet. I am building a Nouvean Sceptre in pine cone. I know there is not enough wood in the center so I chose the two biggest ones that I could find that were open and cast them in white pearl Alumilite using a pot.

Attachments

• pine cone 012.jpg
    pine cone 012.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 386
  • pine cone 013.jpg
    pine cone 013.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 351

seawolf

Idea: Trim the cones on a band saw to about 1 inch diameter slide them in a pvc pipe with the peddles facing up. Use a rubber or wood plug on the bottom of the pipe with a 1/4 inch hole drilled in it. Mix resin then inject it into the pipe from the bottom, the resin should displace most of the air as it rises. A small hole may need to be drilled just above the cones and a toothpick place through it to keep the cones from floating up. Once the tube is full plug the bottom hole with a cork and vibrate to release any trapped air.
Mark

Jgrden

I have turned a few of them just using CA to stabilize them, Like this one on this slimline. I have used pine cones on Sierras and Guardians and most of them has been cones that have not opened up yet. I am building a Nouvean Sceptre in pine cone. I know there is not enough wood in the center so I chose the two biggest ones that I could find that were open and cast them in white pearl Alumilite using a pot.
Dang, tell me that ain't beautiful. It is. Good work.

ShielaMarie

In California, there are Sugar Pines and Coulter Pines. Coulter Pines are the largest pine cones around. The old lumber jacks use to call them Widow Makers. If one fell from the tree and hit you in the head it could kill you. Nice woody cone.

sfhipchick

Holy smoke that's gorgeous!!!!

Top Bottom