Casting pine cones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyz

I want to cast some pine cones. When looking at some, I noticed the core is almost the same as the finished pen diameter, so it doesn't seem like that would work. What types of cones work best? What's the best way to prepare and cast them? Drill after casting? I am planning on using PR. Any help will be appreciated.

1080Wayne

Different species have different size and shape cones , so you have to choose according to what it will be used for . Colorado spruce might be okay for what you want , loblolly pine almost surely won`t be , but it all depends on the look you want to achieve . Experiment . I would Cactus juice stabilize , cast with Alumilite , then drill .

mecompco

I've tried mini cones (Hemlock) in PR. The problem is that the PR does not soak into the cones at all. So, you have hard PR and soft cones, which makes it very difficult to get a smooth finish. They are brittle to drill (it can be done), but even with many layers of CA I've get to get a totally smooth finish. It's too bad, as they look amazing. I think the answer is to stabilize the cones first. Good luck!

Regards,
Michael

Crayman

I have done a bunch of pine cone, it is very similar to turning a worthless wood blank. Takes practice and patience.

Top Bottom