casting options

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

I've searched but haven't been able to find a chart or series of pictures that would show the results from using various casting additions. For example using mica powder, pearlex powder and solid pigments.

I understand there are many variables involved in each cast including temperature, humidity and how much of each was used. I'm wondering if there aren't samples how each of these might look.

In the end I'll have to make my own and keep a record so I can replicate but I hate to go out and buy one of each, only to find it's not going to produce the desired result.

thanks for any positive help you can give.

Montmill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

Montmill - When I first started casting I was in search of a similar comparison chart. There are a few out there. I found playing with mixtures and keeping track of my "recipes" was the best choice for me.

My first purchase was a mixed set of the pearlex powders. I did quite a bit of casting with them. I recently purchased an opaque set - am playig with those now.

I hate to say it, but a little expense and trying to gain lots of experience worked for me.
Hope this helps.

Brooks803

Mica powders and Pearlx will have a pearlescent shimmer to them and solid pigments are just that. Solid, no pearl.

Temp, humidity, etc have little to no effect on this.

What is it exactly that you want the chart to show?

Mica powder/Pearlx:

Solid pigment:

montmill

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for something like a paint chart you get at the paint store. I know they're not exact of course but it gives you a starting point. I think it would be helpful for beginners.

Thanks again,

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the USA

Montmill

Ed McDonnell

That would be one really big color/texture chart. Take one single color mixed into a clear base resin. Depending on how much you use, how you mix it into the clear resin, how you pour the blank and how you treat the tube / blank interior (assuming some transparency and talking pens), you can create dozens of different blanks.

Add a second color to the equation and you have hundreds of possibilities. Three colors? Thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of possibilities.

I feel that once you start using multiple "colors" in any given blank, how you mix / pour is just as important as what colors you are using. Give ten casters the same two colors and you'll likely get a lot of very different looking pens.

As much as someone just starting out with casting might think having a recipe book would be a great idea, I can't imagine anyone, with the ability, thinking that creating that recipe book would be a fun (or good) idea. Unless someone decided to try and make a buck by selling their recipe book.

For me, most of the fun in casting is experimenting and trying different things. I suspect that those who don't like experimenting and who are just looking for a way to end up with really nice blanks at the lowest cost, would find that buying really nice blanks will probably cost a lot less and be more satisfying than trying to roll your own.

Ed

Top Bottom