Casting Newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

08K.80

I think I want to try casting. I might be able to use this for my other crafting, i.e. jewelry.
I have decided I want to use polyester resin and from I have read, U.S. Composites is the place most casters use for their resin. So, I will place an order from them this week. But, which size should I get? How far does a gallon go?

I already have some pigments that I use and have access to many more. So, I am covered there. Hopefully I will have something to share soon. Keep your fingers crossed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Can't speak to how much you might use for jewelry, but I find most pens I make will take between 0.75 and 1.5 oz of resin. A few really large / complicated pen designs might use as much as 3 oz (lots ends up as chips on the floor).

Spillage (never walk in spilled resin!), wastage (the stuff coats everything really well and you never get it all into the mold), really bad color choices ("what was I thinking!!"), failed experiments ("seemed like good idea at the time!") and other resin eating gremlins will significantly increase resin usage.

If you get bit by the casting bug you can never have too much resin. When I factor in the cost of a quart vs a gallon and then shipping costs, I would get the gallon instead of the quart if I were you. But I'm not you and you should only buy enough so that you won't lose sleep at night worrying about the money you wasted if you decide you hate casting after your first attempt.

If you buy from us composites, make sure you get the Silmar 41 and NOT the Silmar 249.

Ed

Russianwolf

With PR, make sure you are casting in an area with PLENTY of ventilation. I will never use PR in my basement shop again because the fumes (which are toxic) get into the living space way too easily.

08K.80

You can go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby to get a quart. This will get you used to casting.

I have read several places that that stuff is difficult to work with and no way of telling how long it's been sitting there. I would rather try it with what everyone else uses and claims to be better. I don't want to decide I don't like casting due to a bad product that is discouraging.

Can't speak to how much you might use for jewelry, but I find most pens I make will take between 0.75 and 1.5 oz of resin. A few really large / complicated pen designs might use as much as 3 oz (lots ends up as chips on the floor).

Spillage (never walk in spilled resin!), wastage (the stuff coats everything really well and you never get it all into the mold), really bad color choices ("what was I thinking!!"), failed experiments ("seemed like good idea at the time!") and other resin eating gremlins will significantly increase resin usage.

If you get bit by the casting bug you can never have too much resin. When I factor in the cost of a quart vs a gallon and then shipping costs, I would get the gallon instead of the quart if I were you. But I'm not you and you should only buy enough so that you won't lose sleep at night worrying about the money you wasted if you decide you hate casting after your first attempt.

If you buy from us composites, make sure you get the Silmar 41 and NOT the Silmar 249.

Ed

Thanks for the great tips Ed. I'm sure I will have plenty of resin in unintended places. I had better get the gallon based on your points. And thanks for informing me on the Silmar 41.

With PR, make sure you are casting in an area with PLENTY of ventilation. I will never use PR in my basement shop again because the fumes (which are toxic) get into the living space way too easily.

So, I shouldn't use it in a spare room? What about a balcony?

Ed McDonnell

Mike has a good point about the ventilation. What you smell with PR resin is the styrene. It's not super toxic like nerve gas, but you shouldn't expose yourself (or anybody else) any more than necessary. How much of a problem it is will, to a certain extent, depend on what volume you are working with. Mixing up 1 oz for a "tube in" pen blank cast will not be nearly as much of an issue as mixing up a couple gallons for a mass production blank pour. The effects of styrene exposure will compound over time. Initially you may have no noticeable effect from the styrene. Some people even like the smell (I'm not one of them). With enough exposure you will become sensitized and quickly develop severe reactions to the styrene. This is best avoided.

Whether I'm working with 1/8 oz or much larger amounts, I wear a respirator and protective goggles. The respirator will filter out the styrene and the goggles keep anything from getting into the eyes. PR in the eyes would be bad. MEKP in the eyes could be disastrous. It only takes one slip to ruin your life. Use safety gear.

I always use nitrile gloves. They are cheap (at HF in bulk) and I can get multiple casting sessions out of a pair of gloves.

Having protected yourself, you need to worry about anybody else in the area. Small molds can be enclosed (cheap glad containers work) to contain the fumes during curing. Or they can be moved outside during warmer weather (70 minimum temps). An exhaust fan will help in a lot of situation to get the fumes out of the shop (and attached buildings).

You can cast outdoors (balcony) if the temps are warm enough and other weather conditions allow. I open the garage door when I'm casting, aim a fan out the door and move my molds outdoors (under cover) after pouring for curing. A couple of minutes after the molds leave the shop, tools are cleaned and waste is disposed of in sealed bags, there is no residual smell.

When the weather doesn't allow me to have the door open my wife complains about the smell when she comes out to the shop. Even a couple of hours after I've finished casting.

I'm with Mike, I would not use PR in a basement.

Keep in mind that tens of thousands of people work with PR resin every day and they aren't dropping dead left and right. But the stuff can kill you or cause severe harm if not used properly. Good work practices, safety gear and common sense can minimize the risks.

Just some thoughts.

Ed

navycop

Just on a side note. I used PR from Michaels alot. The little can seemed to suit my casting needs. I bought a gallon off eastern burlap and it hardened because I couldn't use it up fast enought.

kovalcik

I do the same. A 16oz can is $14 with a 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby. I am relatively new at casting and only do a few blanks at a time. I had 1 almost full can harden on me because I did not use it for over 6 months. It is a lot easier to toss $14 in the trash as opposed to $50. Might be a better way to go until you figure out what your volume will be.

turncrazy43

Try woodnwhimsies.com for your casting resin. I buy the smaller can and it mis reasonable even with the shipping costs.

healeydays

Do yourself a favor and if you haven't done any casting, start with a quart and go from there.

You are going to, if you are like most of us, have trials in the beginning that aren't going to go perfectly right. I have known folks that try it, and just give up and let others do the casting for them, but have also known others that have taken to it and have that special knack for it.

It's your money and time so take whatever we all say as just suggestions. Have fun whatever you do. But, as I said take your time and save that 1st ugly casting as a teaching tool to yourself...

Mike B

Last edited:

08K.80

By the persuasion here, I went to the craft store and picked up some resin.
WOW!!!:eek::eek: Does that stuff stink! :bulgy-eyes:
They also had some small square trays to pour into. I got two of those to try.

I took it out to the balcony and gave it a try. I'm waiting for the sticky to go away. It seems hard, but is sticky.

I will take some pictures when they are done.

healeydays

The sticky might take a bit of time to go away depending on where in the country you are, what your weather is like.

Top Bottom