casting in a mold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Man

I do my own Blake, I want to buy from Fred Wilson the mold that you can put a tube in and poor clear Aluminum lite

My Question is I have a friend that wraps cars, can that be put on a tube and then cast or would the colors run ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

Tom,
I have Freds molds and cast all the time in them- no problems. I use a tube color that's close to the background of the Avery lable I use so the tube does not bleed through. I use a Q-tip after the lable is on and brush 1-2 layers of thin CA so the resin does not soak into the lable and distort the photo (1 qt per blank). I quick dry it with accelorator and outgas overnight- then cast by pouring in one corner w/ mold raised till that side touches both blanks, and then slowly till the mold is full -I've eliminated all my bubbles. Have not had a color run after the resin pour. Works well this way on all of mine for me.
Bob

JohnU

I guess it all depends on how strong the adhesive is on the vinyl. I've bought stick on vinyl letters that shrunk and curled under polyresin casting but had car pin striping work just fine. I have not cast it under alumilite and would think it might be a better result since it sets so much quicker than PR. My only advice would be give it a day to adhere to the tube before you cast to make sure its going to stick to the tube or what ever type of paint you use to paint the tubes.

I have cast die cut vinyl, which is similar. The magic is having him print a pattern that wraps evenly around the brass tube without a seam. Measure the tube and do the math, it will take some testing to determine what the correct diameter is with material stretch.

TBCbushings

Here is the result...PR is the resin.

ForumRunner_20150126_234621.png

Top Bottom