Casting Magic- show us your very best blanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ZanderPommo

Well, to give you an idea, between noon yesterday and 10pm last night my girlfriend and I went through a gallon of resin. She helped me pick out all the colors from coastalscents and am I happy to have her opinion!

I think I have a new color consultant.:biggrin:
not to mention she poured half of these and gave me most of the ideas for the ones I did pour lol
you'll also notice a couple creative names i didn't come up with

Its been a good weekend:)
Edit: I think everyone should add their VERY best blanks rounded and polished, the ones your really proud of! I'll keep posting our blanks as we get better at them

"Barney blank" purple and green
SDC11164.jpg

"silver and gold" gold and silvr with hologram glitter
SDC11165.jpg

close-up
SDC11167.jpg

Tri-color blue purple and gold (the purple reflects blue, way cool)
SDC11161.jpg

creamy sparkly white with a sort of orangish brown (really pretty)
SDC11162.jpg

"magic" purple and gold
SDC11168.jpg

tell me what you think. btw i may add to this as i take pics after i turn them and i have lots more to turn. Oh and the next gallon of resin gets here saturday:eek::biggrin:

Last edited:

Pioneerpens

looking good!!! i've been working on my casting and am getting better but i'm not getting the good separation of colors you are...Very good job!!!

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Great blanks!! So now I am off to the local "Taps Plastic" store for a gallon and colors. One question, however. Do you pour into a 3/4 x 5 square or do it in a round stand-up tube? Frank

Brooks803

looking good Zander! I was at my local wood turning store and since it's family owned he has his little girl there most of the time and I was having a chat with her and she started taking different color crayons out and saying I should make blanks with those colors, needless to say I listened (kids are so smart these days...) and they actually have had great reviews when I post them on here. Don't forget to give your gf a commission! or atleast take her out to a nice dinner for all the help! My wife helps me alot and she surprised me with my pressure pot not too long ago. keep up the great work! great color separation!

SDB777

Whole gallon of Resin, over the weekend, oh my!!!!!

You got some good looking blanks, and it sounds like a good gal there too!!! How many blanks did you end up with that gallon?

Scott (turnin', turnin', turnin', keep that lathe a churnin') B

ZanderPommo

I really want to try this. How did you mix your colors and what did you use?

mica pigments from coastalscents. truly amazing stuff, nothing else comes close.

pour first color till it starts to get really thick, but before it turns to jello "sweet spot" and catalize the next color and swirl them together. gets a little trickier with three colors

i watch it close and stir constantly till i see a difference, you just gotta experiment

ZanderPommo

looking good Zander! I was at my local wood turning store and since it's family owned he has his little girl there most of the time and I was having a chat with her and she started taking different color crayons out and saying I should make blanks with those colors, needless to say I listened (kids are so smart these days...) and they actually have had great reviews when I post them on here. Don't forget to give your gf a commission! or atleast take her out to a nice dinner for all the help! My wife helps me alot and she surprised me with my pressure pot not too long ago. keep up the great work! great color separation!

if she makes the pen she gets 100%, if she was even there when it was poured she gets half. :biggrin:

and yes a feminine opinion every now and then does anybody good:)

ZanderPommo

Whole gallon of Resin, over the weekend, oh my!!!!!

You got some good looking blanks, and it sounds like a good gal there too!!! How many blanks did you end up with that gallon?

Scott (turnin', turnin', turnin', keep that lathe a churnin') B

ummmmm, around 40-50 maybe....i cant keep track lol

ZanderPommo

Those look great! Do you use pressure or anything for bubbles?

No pressure only problems with bubbles were very minor and were ONLY in the 3 color combos, and I think I can completely avoid that next time.
Before and after I add colorant, I let the cup of resin thin by putting the cup I resin in a cup I water (don't get water in the resin) double boiler style. Helps keep bubbles coming straight up 2 the surface and makes mixing without adding air (bubbles) easier

toyotaman

Sounds like you have some great blanks there. Would it be possible to do a tutorial on the exact process so others can learn from it?,or have someone take pics while you are casting and post the process that way. I noticed you said you use mica colors. How many colors do you have? I know you can have some $$$ tied up there pretty quick.Sorry for all the questions but I'm still trying to get up the nerve to start casting.
Toyotaman

corian king

Hello Nice job! really sharpe looking blanks.my daughter really likes pink and green.Whats the chance you could do one like the "barney" blank and instead of purple make that pink?Any chance?
JIM

emmwittle

Sounds like you have some great blanks there. Would it be possible to do a tutorial on the exact process so others can learn from it?,or have someone take pics while you are casting and post the process that way. I noticed you said you use mica colors. How many colors do you have? I know you can have some $$$ tied up there pretty quick.Sorry for all the questions but I'm still trying to get up the nerve to start casting.
Toyotaman

we might do a video tutorial and post it on youtube and post the link in the library :) oh and btw this is zander's gf :):biggrin:

emmwittle

Hello Nice job! really sharpe looking blanks.my daughter really likes pink and green.Whats the chance you could do one like the "barney" blank and instead of purple make that pink?Any chance?
JIM

sure thing. we have a darker pink and a lighter almost baby pink. but sure we could trade or something. :laugh: pm either zanderpommo or me :)

kevrob

Where have you all found is the best place to get your colors? You mentioned mica pigments, where is the cheapest place to buy that? I find my color choices very limited at the local Hobby Lobby. What type of mold did you use?

RAdams

Banned
coastalscents dot com

There should be a link on the side for mica and pigments or something similar...

They have way too many colors, and severa ways to buy them. for cheap, you can buy a little baggie of a few colors, or for a few bones (around 100) you can buy the mica sampler which has all the colors in it. Or for big bucks (around 400) you can get the ultimate mica pack.

The mica colors are off the charts. They look even better in sunlight. The only downfall is that most of the colors are earthy colors. Not alot of options for super bright red, or dayglow orange or anything like that. There are some cool reds and blues and stuff... And the glitters and "fairy dust" can be added to any color t oadd even more pop. Their pearls are insane. The duocrome stuff is super cool, the interfine stuff is WICKED, especially with matching anodized fittings..

Zander, Thanks for posting about how you get your seperation! I always catalyze two colors at the same time and wait till they start to thicken, and then pour in the mold. I get some cool seperation but it isnt usually as distributed as yours. I like your pours! Makes me look forward to getting more resin soon!!

Brooks803

Lookin good, Zander. I went through my first gallon in two day as well. It is so much fun to create different color combos. Casting is a vortex all on its' own.

Vortex is putting it mild! I go through 5gallon buckets as fast I did the 1gal starting out:eek:. I blame it all on the experimenting I do though.

soligen

Let me make sure I understand. You mix both colors. catalyze one, then wait to catalyze the second when the first thickens - so you are actually mixing some almost gelled PR with thin just catalyzed PR.

Is that right?

RAdams

Banned
PR is sweet that way. You can pour clear on top of cured clear and there will be no seam, so gelling with freshly catalyzed is no problem!

ZanderPommo

I think everyone should add their VERY best blanks rounded and polished, the ones your really proud of! I'll keep posting our blanks as we get better at them

Fred

Excellent results you and the little lady are pouring.

Do make a pictorial or the video, BUT post here first so we can get a head start on the rest of the world. :cool:

Again, great pours you two have done so far. :biggrin:

ZanderPommo

if we do make a video it will be posted as a link in the library and on youtube. if we do it itll be on saturday and i would try to have it posted next week

atomic ray

Great, wonderful, and just a certain kind of special...:bananen_smilies068:

And great tips on the hot and cold blending of resins.

I have had terrible issues with mixing hot gel resin with hot liquid resin...but it greatly depends on the brand of resin...which brand are you using? A generic resin or a name brand?

All of your colors have a seriously nice color saturation and perfectly chaotic pattern.

Good stuff...keep it up and continue to take advice on the color combos...clean and professional
:bananen_smilies019:

atomic ray

Thanks! I have samples from them in my office. I think I have a dealers/retailers option with them...I have not ordered in some time, so most likely the option has defaulted. I will call the rep tomorrow, see if I can get a decent deal on a batch.

Again, great stuff there! :bananen_smilies104:

RAdams

Banned
If i could find my camera, I would post a pciture of a pen that i re-did. It is a Classic American fountain.

The components look like they have been thru a war, but the blank is amazing. Originally, this pen had an orange store bought blank on it, with no paint and ugly glue lines. I turned it into a closed end with shaved center band. The blank is red, white, and black. When i find a camera i will post a picture or two! One of my finest homebrews!!

RAdams

Banned
FOUND IT!!!

Attachments

• purdy pour.jpg
    purdy pour.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 246
  • purdy pour closeup.JPG
    purdy pour closeup.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 223

RAdams

Banned
thank ya!! It isn't too bad for an old "knock around". The components have been is use for well over a year, and i have not been nice to them as you can see!

Top Bottom