Casting labels in finials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

I've got a question for those with more label casting experience than me, but first a bit of background.

Often on capped pens, I'll punch out the metal finial and then use some left over blank to turn a replacement. I'll do this with both wood and PR/Alumilite/AA. I've been asked if it's possible to put a logo on the finial.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried casting a label in such a way that it can be used as the little finial piece on a Jr. Series pen. I just had this request relayed to me, so I haven't had much time to ponder it yet.

The logos that would be used would be multi-color and would probably not lend themselves to being done on decal stock.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I've got a question for those with more label casting experience than me, but first a bit of background.

Often on capped pens, I'll punch out the metal finial and then use some left over blank to turn a replacement. I'll do this with both wood and PR/Alumilite/AA. I've been asked if it's possible to put a logo on the finial.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried casting a label in such a way that it can be used as the little finial piece on a Jr. Series pen. I just had this request relayed to me, so I haven't had much time to ponder it yet.

The logos that would be used would be multi-color and would probably not lend themselves to being done on decal stock.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

www.penturners.org/forum/f13/latest-custom-pen-112985/

jsolie

That's a pretty cool looking pen, but there weren't a lot of ideas there for how to pull off the finial. I'm hoping for a clue or two to pull this off.

TheAcadian

I'm going to bump this because I'd love to know too. I am making a custom pen for a firefighter, but I want it to be much more subtle than the firefighter pen kit we see out there. I'd love to put the department's logo on the finial. I was thinking about just printing it out on paper, sealing it, then putting some domed resin on top. Just not sure which resin to use.

lhowell

I'm going to bump this because I'd love to know too. I am making a custom pen for a firefighter, but I want it to be much more subtle than the firefighter pen kit we see out there. I'd love to put the department's logo on the finial. I was thinking about just printing it out on paper, sealing it, then putting some domed resin on top. Just not sure which resin to use.

Chris:

John (jsolie) the starter of this thread finished up some custom logo pens in which he had someone make the logo for the finial. He posted his work in a another thread about the Jr. Gent's he made (see link to thread). You may want to reach out to him to see what he did or where he got them from if you are interested.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/bunch-jr-gents-144612/

jttheclockman

Any resin will do. Just need a way to sand and polish it. The best thing to do is treat it as if you were making a 2 part bottle stopper. Just that it is smaller. I would use poly resin like Silmar41

Here is the backup to Lee's link.

www.penturners.org/forum/f14/custom-engraved-finials-jr-series-pens-142761/index2.html

Last edited:

jsolie

I wound up using custom lapel pins. Since I was making these for an order, hitting the minimum order quantity didn't pose a problem. I thought about going the route of printing it out and building up some resin, but maintaining the proper diameter for the finial is something I still wonder about.

My followup is here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/custom-engraved-finials-jr-series-pens-142761/#post1889821

TheAcadian

I wound up using custom lapel pins. Since I was making these for an order, hitting the minimum order quantity didn't pose a problem. I thought about going the route of printing it out and building up some resin, but maintaining the proper diameter for the finial is something I still wonder about.

My followup is here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/custom-engraved-finials-jr-series-pens-142761/#post1889821

Thanks! I saw that post, and it looks like a great solution for larger orders, but this is a one off. I'm still trying to figure out which resin to buy so I can dome on top of a printed label. I'm going to figure this out!

Top Bottom