Casting labels in finials - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Default Casting labels in finials

I've got a question for those with more label casting experience than me, but first a bit of background.

Often on capped pens, I'll punch out the metal finial and then use some left over blank to turn a replacement. I'll do this with both wood and PR/Alumilite/AA. I've been asked if it's possible to put a logo on the finial.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried casting a label in such a way that it can be used as the little finial piece on a Jr. Series pen. I just had this request relayed to me, so I haven't had much time to ponder it yet.

The logos that would be used would be multi-color and would probably not lend themselves to being done on decal stock.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolie View Post
I've got a question for those with more label casting experience than me, but first a bit of background.

Often on capped pens, I'll punch out the metal finial and then use some left over blank to turn a replacement. I'll do this with both wood and PR/Alumilite/AA. I've been asked if it's possible to put a logo on the finial.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried casting a label in such a way that it can be used as the little finial piece on a Jr. Series pen. I just had this request relayed to me, so I haven't had much time to ponder it yet.

The logos that would be used would be multi-color and would probably not lend themselves to being done on decal stock.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Latest Custom Pen
Old 05-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's a pretty cool looking pen, but there weren't a lot of ideas there for how to pull off the finial. I'm hoping for a clue or two to pull this off.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I'm going to bump this because I'd love to know too. I am making a custom pen for a firefighter, but I want it to be much more subtle than the firefighter pen kit we see out there. I'd love to put the department's logo on the finial. I was thinking about just printing it out on paper, sealing it, then putting some domed resin on top. Just not sure which resin to use.
TheAcadian is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcadian View Post
I'm going to bump this because I'd love to know too. I am making a custom pen for a firefighter, but I want it to be much more subtle than the firefighter pen kit we see out there. I'd love to put the department's logo on the finial. I was thinking about just printing it out on paper, sealing it, then putting some domed resin on top. Just not sure which resin to use.

Chris:

John (jsolie) the starter of this thread finished up some custom logo pens in which he had someone make the logo for the finial. He posted his work in a another thread about the Jr. Gent's he made (see link to thread). You may want to reach out to him to see what he did or where he got them from if you are interested.

A bunch of Jr. Gents
lhowell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Quote:

Any resin will do. Just need a way to sand and polish it. The best thing to do is treat it as if you were making a 2 part bottle stopper. Just that it is smaller. I would use poly resin like Silmar41

Here is the backup to Lee's link.

Custom engraved finials for Jr. series pens

Last edited by jttheclockman; 03-08-2017 at 10:29 AM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I wound up using custom lapel pins. Since I was making these for an order, hitting the minimum order quantity didn't pose a problem. I thought about going the route of printing it out and building up some resin, but maintaining the proper diameter for the finial is something I still wonder about.

My followup is here: Custom engraved finials for Jr. series pens
Old 03-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolie View Post
Quote:
I wound up using custom lapel pins. Since I was making these for an order, hitting the minimum order quantity didn't pose a problem. I thought about going the route of printing it out and building up some resin, but maintaining the proper diameter for the finial is something I still wonder about.

My followup is here: Custom engraved finials for Jr. series pens
Thanks! I saw that post, and it looks like a great solution for larger orders, but this is a one off. I'm still trying to figure out which resin to buy so I can dome on top of a printed label. I'm going to figure this out!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Clear casting polyester resin.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads