Casting Images (Searched forums)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmvernon

Hello all.

I've done ample searching and still have a few questions.

I do graphic design as a hobby and wanted to cast a few of the images. I I used "Avery 22827" water resistant labels and had them printed on at FedEx/Kinkos. Here were my steps.

1. Let labels sit overnight (10 ish hours)
2. Cleaned tubes with DNA, then applied the labels to the brass tubes.
3. Mixed Alumilite, poured over mold then put in the vacuum chamber at 40 PSI for two hours.
4. Removed from the chamber, let sit for 8 hours.

The results were terrible. Upon pulling out of the pot, the labels looked fantastic. No color bleed, crisp images no bubbles. after the eight hours... the brass bled through, the images lost their crispness and the edges started to peel away. I turned them regardless.

The image was completely destroyed and the ink ran like crazy...

My questions are:
1. What is the best label for image quality laser jet?
2. What the hell did I do wrong!?! And what can I do to improve the alumilite process?

I have a vacuum chamber/Pressure Pot.

JohnU

For the Alumilite process I would suggest first... Spray paint your tubes white a day before you use them. This will stop the brass showing through the labels once they get wet. Also, warm your resin, especially "part B", It will mix quicker and easier. I use a clamp light next to the cups until its thinner but NOT HOT. I would guess your problem is not the alumilite but the ink and labels. If they are peeling away from the tubes in Alumilite, they will probably peel away in any resin since Alumilite cures very fast compared to the others. I use weather resistant labels with my ink jet printer and have no problems. Online labels.com sells them for both inkjet and laserjet printers. I don't have any experience with laser jet. Good luck!

Joe S.

I've only done a little of what you're talking about, but like John said painting the tube first can help. If you are doing a common kit like the Sierra then pre-painted tubes are an easy solution.

eharri446

Try the Avery 8126 label. These are the ones for use in printing USPS Priority shipping labels and are made to prevent bleed through.

That is what one of the member of the Georgia chapter told me to use.

Top Bottom