Casting fishing flies into a pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSU1980

I am going to attempt to cast small fishing flies into a blank. I plan on wrapping the tube with carbon fiber and then CAing the flies to the Carbon Fiber and then casting with Water Clear Alumilite.

After all of that, my question is: What pen kit has the thickest wall and will give me the best chance to not expose the flies when I turn to the bushings?
I would prefer a single barrel pen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OLLIEwinz

you could probably try using some sort of majestic rhodium fountain pen.i would use nymph flies because they are smaller than most but you will have to be careful about the resin changing the shape of the flies.
-oliver

I have found that the Sierra Vista has the thickest wall of any of the single barrel pen kits. The regular Sierra has wall thickness of .032" while the Sierra Vista has a wall thickness of .0565". There are probably more but these are the kits I normally use.

Mike

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Another idea to consider is wrapping the tube with rod making tread as opposed to carbon fiber. Plenty of colors available and a lot thinner. May open up the kit possibilities.

rd_ab_penman

I found that the Sierra series work best with the thick walls.

Les

Attachments

• Elegant Beauty Feathers and Flies.jpg
    Elegant Beauty Feathers and Flies.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 549
Top Bottom