casting comes out white ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grenger

NO luck
trying to cast cigar leaves.

Used CLEAR POLYESTER CASTIN RESIN AND CATALYST HARDENER FROM CASTINCRAFT
1 ONCE OF RESIN AND 5 DROPS OF HARDENNER I USE MOD PODGE TO GLUE THE CIGAR LEAFES

Attachments

• 2017-01-29 10.17.45.jpg
    2017-01-29 10.17.45.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChewTerr

What would you recommend to ensure that they are fully dried out, if that is the problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Grenger

maybee after gluing the first leave on tube i should let it drye then add the other leaf and also let it drye...

they are humid.... since i have to soak the cigar in water in order to remove the leaves

jttheclockman

People have had problems with mod podge also beside the moisture content.

Just about anything you can think of it has been tried here so I suggest doing a quick search and you may find a few helpful hints.

Examples

www.penturners.org/forum/f43/cigar-blank-casting-132403/

www.penturners.org/forum/f43/cigar-casting-94544/

www.penturners.org/forum/f43/casting-cigar-1972/

www.penturners.org/forum/f43/cast-tobacco-42181/

If you want to read about the modpodge thing look up decal casting and there are a ton of hits on that also. Good luck.

Last edited:

Grenger

Has anyone use ECOPOXY resin in silicone mold.
I heard not to use this product with silicone mold.

Ecopoxy.com

Thanks

Grenger

i tried one more time... all looks good till i start to turn it... White 'milk' appears at the end. Any idea why. Could it be that its heating when turning.why.jpg

jttheclockman

Usually moisture. What are you using to adhere?? Have to allow to dry and gas off with plenty of time before casting. Especially if using CA and yes CA does gas off even though there are experts here that say it does not. :)

Grenger

They were dried in the oven at a very low temp. I put 3 costs of pudge and dried every coat in the oven. why is it only the ends that turn white.

when i remove them from the mold thy are perfect. the whote appears after turning.

jttheclockman

They were dried in the oven at a very low temp. I put 3 costs of pudge and dried every coat in the oven. why is it only the ends that turn white.

when i remove them from the mold thy are perfect. the whote appears after turning.

Then my opinion is separation. Whatever you are doing to square up the ends is putting pressure on the resin. Sanding is the only solution for the ends that I can think of.

ChewTerr

I've bad similar things happen to the ends of my CA. I think it results when I square my ends roughly or press the finished pen together too hard. I think microfractures from strain? Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Skie_M

Hmmm ... rather than using mod podge, I think I would try something along the lines of the following:

Carefully remove the cigar case leaf from the cigar using WOOD HARDENER to soften the material .... quickly move it over to a wooden dowel that has been pre-sized or wrap it round your brass tube.

Before the hardener begins to take effect, wrap the entire thing in saran wrap to force it to keep the shape you want, and then allow it to dry.

Once it's dry, trim away any excess overhanging material and cast.

sdivot

When I glue things onto tubes and coat with Modpodge, I've found it helpful to let it air dry, then put your finished blank into a ziploc bag filled with rice. Let it sit a couple days and it should be pretty dry.
I live in southeast Texas (Houston area), and it gets pretty humid. This method seems to work pretty well.
Steve

Grenger

Hmmm ... rather than using mod podge, I think I would try something along the lines of the following:

Carefully remove the cigar case leaf from the cigar using WOOD HARDENER to soften the material .... quickly move it over to a wooden dowel that has been pre-sized or wrap it round your brass tube.

Before the hardener begins to take effect, wrap the entire thing in saran wrap to force it to keep the shape you want, and then allow it to dry.

Once it's dry, trim away any excess overhanging material and cast.
sounds good, but will the cigar leaves stick to the tube if i apply wood hardener to it

thanks

Grenger

When I glue things onto tubes and coat with Modpodge, I've found it helpful to let it air dry, then put your finished blank into a ziploc bag filled with rice. Let it sit a couple days and it should be pretty dry.
I live in southeast Texas (Houston area), and it gets pretty humid. This method seems to work pretty well.
Steve
what i did is i glued the cigar leaves onto the tube with podge. I put a bit of pudge over the cigar. I then put it in the oven at a very very very low temp for 1 hour at least. I then add more podge and repeat the drying. It come out nice. I then put in in the mold and add resin. Let it drye for a 24hours. It looks perfect. the problem is when i start to turn it.... and at the sanding stage i get some 'white' spots... I think my sanding is generating heat and the resin does not like this..... TO BE TESTED

Grenger

thinking of getting a pressure pot and pump. will this pump be good for a 10gallon pot.

Screenshot_2.jpg

with this pot

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

sdivot

The pump you show is a vacuum pump. This would be used for stabilizing wood. I use a vacuum pump with a vacuum chamber for stabilizing blanks with cactus juice. Check out: https://www.turntex.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=121
The vacuum pump creates a vacuum that pulls the stabilizing liquid into your blank.

The pressure pot requires a compressor for casting. When you use a pressure pot, you are creating a high pressure which essentially squeezes the air bubbles to eliminate them in your casting.

So these items you show are used for two different things.

Steve

Top Bottom